Apple Music - New downloads not showing in Roon

I have added the Music folder in Roon Core (running on Macbook Pro). When I download new albums and tracks in the Music app on the same Mac the new music does not show in Roon.

Hi @Imtihaz_Hussein,
I’m moving your post over to support so they can help you through this problem.
It would help if you could provide a screenshot of Settings>Storage.

Thanks Scott.

Please find the settings>Storage screenshot…

Can you show a screenshot (or list the path) of the folder where the Apple music is being downloaded?
What format are you downloading from the Apple Music app?
Also, is the Samsung drive a USB drive attached to your Mac.

Hi @Imtihaz_Hussein,

In the screenshot you shared above, I see that there are some disabled folders. Where are the Downloads for the Apple Music app being stored?

Right now it looks like you only have the default Music Folder and the Samsung > SMusic > MP3 folders being watched by Roon. Is your Apple Music library stored in one of those locations?

Dylan,

The Apple Music App is storing the files in the following folder:-
/Macintosh HD/Users/ImtihazH/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media

This is the same as the Music Folder you see in the previous screenshot. To avoid any doubt I have enabled this folder as shown in the screenshot below and disabled the Music Folder. This did not fix the issue.

Hi @Imtihaz_Hussein,

We have some documentation that may be helpful here. In our KB we have an article about Skipped Files and an article about why some files might be missing from Roon .

If you go to Settings > Library > Skipped Files do you see any of your missing files there?

I’d like to recommend looking at a couple of specific examples of tracks that did not get imported into Roon. Are they supported files? Are they showing up in Skipped Files? If it looks like they should be importing, let me know! Screenshots of these files in their storage location would be helpful for discovering what may be happening.

Are they purchased downloads or downloads for offline play?

They are downloads from Apple Music subscription for offline playback.

I did check the skipped files and there was noting there. I will have a look again.

I think those files are protected and can only be played by Apple Music. They are likely encrypted so that other players can’t play them.

Thank you R_Neal.
That may explain it. It would be good if Roon would make that clear in their documents.
Can someone from Roon support please confirm this?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Imtihaz_Hussein — Apologies for the confusion here!

R_Neal is correct — Roon does not integrate with the Apple Music subscription service, including files downloaded for offline playback. These files are a protected format and cannot be played in apps that do not integrate with the service.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.