Apple Music to DAC over Ethernet?

I had already posted in my other thread, that this is not reliable the last time i tried it.

I have tried everything :wink:

Still, its free - give it a shot - and report back ! But don’t report back after 10 songs.

Report back after 5 days, if it is reliable or not :grin:

I can tell you the RME method is reliable - I use it everyday, no issues. For 2 years now.

1 Like

The only problem (for me) with the RME method is that I have to buy yet another thing…

Will let you know what I find with the lossless switcher thing

1 Like

As someone that’s been using it for 2 years now (and tried everything), it annoys me to have the RME sitting there as a glorified SPDIF to USB converter really. Not even using its DAC or headphone amp…

But it works flawlessy and so simply after setting up.

And the ability to pipe anything that plays on an iPad/iPhone through HQPlayer is the ultimate !

I sometimes use Roon but I use so many better things for new music discovery.

Well, I ran into another problem playing Apple Music on Mac Mini (early 2014). After playing a few songs, Apple Music stops and shuts down my TV and Bose. This might not be worth fooling with anymore, but if anyone has an answer, please let me know. Apple Music is a real PIA.

This is an Apple Music issue, because I can play Roon, Tidal, and Qobuz all day long on the Mac Mini. I’m not sure why I’m fooling with Apple Music other that the fact it’s there.

You know, I wouldn’t fool with Apple Music if it weren’t for the fact that they’re coming out with the Apple Classical app at the end of this month.

I’ve got a huge local library of hi-res DSD and PCM plus Qobuz, so don’t really need Apple. But would be interesting to see what Apple is like.

Apple Music works well on IOS devices when away from home, I switch from Roon on my Dell to Apple Music on my iPhones and iPads when I get low on Verizon hotspot data (160GB). I have unlimited data on my IOS devices with no throttling on the iPhones.

EDIT: I switched from HDMI to optical. Maybe this will work better?? Still using HDMI for video.

EDIT: Nope, just stopped again. I really need to find out why this Mac Mini is shutting down my TV. Or, is the TV shutting itself down for some unknown reason? Anyone have any ideas? I ditched the optical because I could not get it to work.

What I have learned is that Apple Music doesn’t like LG or LG doesn’t like Apple Music. Running Apple Music on Mac Mini with HDMI out to LG, then HDMI to sound system shuts down the LG every 17 minutes consistently. There are beaucoup threads about that on the interwebs.

So, I’ll need to use AirPlay to Bose with Apple Music on Mac Mini. Not a big deal since I’ll be using Roon unless my Nucleus and Dell blow up at the same time. I’m just a little anal about this stuff and like everything to work.

In looking at this, I found probably 20 potential solutions, none of which worked. OK, enough time wasted on this. Carry on.

It is surprising that in the nearly 2 years since the release of Apple Music Lossless, Apple has not worked with SONOS to allow up to 24/48 playback on the SONOS product line.

I am only interested in Apple Music only for the new Apple Classical (PrimePhonic) offering coming soon. The current app is a mess compare with Tidal and Spotify.

The only way to connect is via an old iPad Mini and a USB cable into a Camera Kit., spaghetti style ,

My Naim Uniti Atom HE doesn’t support USB in (Why should it it’s a streamer after all ?) so I am using an expensive “converter” too , my old Audiolab M-DAC JUST as a USB - SPDIF converter.

Then coax into the Naim , I now have to use the Naim App to select Digital 1 which is an ugly mess on the iPad and the Naim screen , no artwork , no details etc. just a bare statement of which input is in use.

When is “Apple Connect” (ala Tidal and Spotify Connect) going too appear or is this another “Apple don’t give S**T about their hi fi customers”. Not providing a Connect type app is as ever to keep users tied to Apple hardware wirelessly.

In terms of content , unless Apple Classical has a whole load more content coming soon too which is not currently in the 100 million track Apple Music library , I can’t see me sticking. Tidal (we haven’t got Qobuz in SA) is outstripping Apple Music of the (non scientific) random search samples so far.

My only Apple commitment is my iPad Mini (7 yrs old) and my iPad 12.9 pro, maybe the Samsung decision was wrong after all.

UNDERWHELMED :smiling_imp:

The exact same reason it supports TOSLink, digital coax and analogue inputs? :smile:

For USB sources.

Apple Music works well for me using an iPhone or iPad, camera adapter, Chord Mojo 2, and Focal Clear headphones. This is my go to setup when away from home and I have used up all my Verizon hotspot data running Roon on my laptop.

Hi Jim

I know it will work BUT it’s lash up at best , hardly the slick Tech Solution I would expect from a premier tech supplier like Apple.

Having a large local library I use a big SD card in my (Samsung) phone and Sony BT Headphones to get my mobile solution. My 1 Tb SD card should arrive today !!

With appropriate wires and adapters anything can be made to work BUT…

Incidentally I get the iPad Mini Lightening adapter to work but not the iPad 12.9 Pro USB C adapter , that’s with 3 different cables. Paying PREMIUM price for Apple I would expect better

I’m testing the Apple Music lossless high resolution versions for Windows 11 also. I haven’t fooled with it much because I prefer to use Roon at home, of course. I also prefer Roon away from home as long as I have hotspot data available.

Since, I could never get HDMI from Mac Mini to LG to work for more than 17 minutes at a time, I just now plugged my HDMI from Mac Mini to Oppo 203. I think this will work OK and gets multitrack out of the Mac Mini. I need to test it with Apple Music Atmos.