Apple to launch Classical app on Mar 28

That is what I understood

Me too, just so that I will not spend time on phone. When on iPhone I was replacing computer with the small screen now I just go on the computer and I have better screen times. But when things get going maybe I’ll buy a used iPhone just to test. My old one it will not work

S’funny I bought a Samsung to use as a phone​:joy::joy:

I begrudgingly added an SD card to use on holidays now I use it during power cuts. I am even thinking of a 1tb SD card

Where does it stop ?

1 Like

Having the music local is a joy.

App in store today if pre ordered

1 Like

1 Like

I’m curious what the Classical officiandos think of the app.

Especially long time Primephonic users

Happy or not happy with the UI / UX ?

1 Like

First reaction is its aimed at phones !!. On my 12.9 ipad there is a little window in the middle.

Ill reserve further comment til ive had a good dig. I did enjoy PrimePhonic so …

1 Like

Yes this has been known for weeks.

I mean what are the thoughts on whats just come out today !

The Depth of the catalog is enormous. I think this will be the reference for classical music.
The biggest drawback is usage at 24/192 resolution.

1 Like

For the 30 seconds I auditioned it is wonderful :smiling_imp:

To make any informed commentary I think a few days acclimatisation may be worth it.

2 Likes

Setup : iPad 12.9, Casting AirPlay to Naim Uniti Atom HE , Sennheiser HD800

nothing but signal breakup on what appears a 44/16 CD , NOT impressed. Same conditions on local files playback is fine …

Not giving up quite yet …

I think the big debate is what will Apple Classical give me the Roon/Tidal/Wikipedia doesn’t. Except of course the bit of wire connecting my iPad to the hi fi system ?

Being happy with Roon Tidal I am looking for something extra ?

1 Like

Not why if that were true Apple Music would work way better at recommnding music then Roon. Apple is more relying on trends and Curators. They are so far behind when it comes to a great music experience, and the reason is because they don’t collect enough data on users. Apple Music now offers a fully online version of Apple Music without lossless for now. We can already login to Apple Music from other services, So this is probably something that can be done but not at the level where Roon needs it to be. I do see Apple eventually allowing you to use any app you want to stream with more control. This would be a game changer as I won’t need Tidal.

Why? not everything is recorded in DSD.

Hi
Most probably you are right
Up to now Apple have only release Apple classical for Mobiles not for Mac
Anyway it would be good if Roon try to incorporate IDAGIO services which have similar capacity as Apple Classical
And in any case I bielieve that Roon can easily incorporate in their data based the search by Composer,Interpreter, type of classical music, Period, instrument etc as both IDAGIO and Apple classical do. It will be a great help

1 Like

This is the thing: Any service Roon onboards requires direct collaboration with the streaming provider. The IDAGIO model is very much like Roon’s: provide the ecosystem information surrounding the music. Incorporating this into Roon seems like a complex task with little return given both Roon and IDAGIO have made lots of deep architectural decisions - it would be like trying to fit a square piece in a round hole. I don’t see this happening at all.

I don’t see why you think this is an easy task at all!

1 Like

I say easy since finally it is adding more data bases to thé existing relacional data base
Easy with significant work sûre , but not a différent concept.
The approach taken by Qobuz Tidal and partially by Roon seems to be base in searching disk and in the meta data of those disk, CDs , what it is requîred is to incorpórate data bases with composers ,Works, interprètes, type of Music and périodes. True it took more than two years to Apple to Launch this plataform after buying Primephonic. But Roon could do the effort.
It worth thé effort and investment.
There are many melómanos using Roon.
It is up to Roon to study in deep way the subject
I Hope they do

Thank you all. Nice helpful early user comments. You are right about the niche character of classical music listening via Roon/Streaming service. Apple Music Classical (AMC) has been in development since 2021, when Apple purchased Primephonic. Oliver Schusser, a vice president at Apple says “we’re really serious about this.”, but we all know that integration into DAC streaming, etc, is not a typical AM/AMC user priority. OTOH, Apple did, against all predictions, eventually support higher resolution releases with RBCD resolution broadly available.

I expect that where Qobuz is almost uniformly unresponsive to catalog holes (too small to care), Apple will be uniformly so (too big to care).

Still don’t have a handle on classical music recording depth in AM/AMC and wonder if legacy recordings which form a sizable portion of what I listen to will be broadly available. The absence of accompanying materials (the “liner” notes, etc), a key part of my classical music enjoyment that Roon delivers in spades, is a complete non-starter for me.

@shankha, you are right that hope springs eternal, as in we can naively hope for what we want, but Apple will deliver only what is in its best interests. Can we shape this? Unlikely, but worth a try. Now, how best to do this?

1 Like

Interesting point. I have the impression catalog completeness is more of a push from publishers than a pull from streaming companies. When you have the size of Apple Music or Spotify, you will get EVERYONE who cares to stream their music knocking at your door, whereas I expect for Qobuz and TIDAL it is more of a pull and continuous, painful negotiation.

2 Likes

I think and hope that is true. I get the sense from Qobuz that they are in a “you’ll get whatever we give you” relationship with labels and that there is also an element of haphazardness to streaming releases to different countries, whether on the part of the streaming service or the labels.

It is of interest that Gramophone initially used Qobuz for pointing to purchases of content under review and shortly thereafter switched to Apple Music. Probably better for their bottom line and more stable general access for the reasons you mentioned.

My ignorance, however, in these matters, exceeds my knowledge. I can only speculate.

Anyone here know how to determine the recent number of classical music tracks available by streaming services Apple Music, Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal?

Apple Music claims ~ 5 million classical music tracks. Idagio ~2-2.5 million. Spotify, Qobuz and Tidal do not explicitly break out classical music tracks. Estimates (as of 2013) of the total number of classical music tracks in existence between 5 and 100 million. CMS apparently estimated this in 2013.

1 Like