Apple TV 3 ... unable to stream

I try to stream Roon from my MacBook to my Apple TV3 and no sound … plus get the following error appearing on the Apple TV 3 …

"Device Requirements

This AirPlay connection requires iOS 7.1 or later,
OS X 10.9.2 or later, or iTunes 11.2 or later"

Then I have to press a “OK” button to remove the error message.

Checked my Apple TV3 …
Apple TV Software 7.2 (7512)
Hardware Model A1469

OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite on my MacBook

iTunes 12.1.2.27 on my MacBook

My iOS, OSX, and iTunes, is all above the minimum required stated by the Apple error message on the ATV3…. yet I get this Apple error message when I try to stream Roon (Airplay works fine when streaming from my MacBook to Apple TV …. or going into “Computers” on Apple TV, it reads my MacBook fine).

Oh, I am also using Roon Build 16 that I downloaded and installed yesterday. Thanks.

What version of software is on your ATV3? (don’t upgrade it if one is available… yet)

Hi Danny,

My Apple TV Software is version 7.2 (7512)
[I checked in “Settings - General - About” section in my ATV3]

I believe 7.2 is the latest ATV3 version … there were no updates available (not that I would have updated as you advised not to … yet).

Once again, I appreciate the help.

John

We are looking into this. I fear Apple is doing some stuff to prevent third party devices from streaming to them.

Thanks Danny, look forward to any updates. Have a good weekend.

John

I took a look around and found this thread on apple’s discussion site:

Apple recently added a setting to the Apple TV that allows for only user-verified devices to connect to the Apple TV. Trying to connect with AirParrot when this setting is turned on will result in this message being displayed: This AirPlay connection requires iOS 7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad, or OS X 10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a Mac.

Can you try these instructions from that thread:

To disable the setting, go to Settings > AirPlay > Security > Require Device Verification and turn it off. This setting was introduced in Apple TV software version 6.1. More on device verification can be found at the Apple support portal.

We are in the same boat as software like AirParrot–talking to AirPlay while not being an official Apple product. I bet your AppleTV has this setting turned on.

Please let us know how it goes. If you’re successful, we will make sure to publish this workaround more clearly and make our support people aware.

Hi Brian … you were right … I had “Require Device Verification” turned on.

Turned off & now all is good.

Thank You ! I appreciate your help, that is great.

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.