Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Hi @Anthony_McCarthy

I’ve had a similar issue in the past with the Roon Core running on the Mac - rebooting the Mac always solved the issue for me!

When connecting manually via the IP address is the port number correct? On a Roon client, the Web display URL shows the port number to use. In Roon a app see Settings > Displays.

I’d also suggest removing the Core name if you’ve entered it manually - auto discovery will update it for you if a core is found.

Regards,
Russell

Good to here the app is working well for you.

Im not too sure - i’d have to look into it.

Thank you Russell for your reply… but will I need to Authorise the TV Remote app in the Extensions section of the Server software again… how do I do that if required…?

Regards,
Anthony

Yeah, you’ll need to re-enable the extension if you’ve cleared out the previous authorisation.

Once the app is connected to the core you should see an Enabled button in the Settings > Extension section of the Roon app.

Is it showing up or is the app still failing to connect?

I have opposite problem.
The tv remote application recognizes the Roon core server.
But when I enter into extension section in Roon core server - it does not find any extension to authorize.

I solved the problem - I found out that my firewall blocked Roon output from ATV into the the windows 10 server. I unbloked it andn now the TV:Remorte applicaiton is working

2 Likes

Any chance that I can be included in the Apple TV Testflight beta? I receive the message about the program not accepting new participants.
Thanks

Hi @Scott_Blasl

The apps now released and available for download via the App Store.

Cheers,
Russell

Thanks Russell! Nice addition to the Roon/TV ecosystems🤔…

Great addition to the ecosystem. Just wished if it could incorporate signal path and lyrics. Great work ! Cheers

2 Likes

I’ve downloaded the app on my new first gen Apple TV 4K. It says that it finds my Roon Core (Nucleus) and directs me to enable the extension. How do I do this? From the Roon app on my iPad, I go to Settings > Extensions. The only extensions that I see are Roon Extension Manager and Denon/Marantz AVR.

Is there a way to get to the screen saver screen where the volume controls from the remote are active? When i am on the screen that has the play pause next buttons, the volume (swipe or tap up and down) does not work. It seems i have to wait 20 seconds every time.

Hi @Edward_Lee

Yeah, it should pop up there with the option to Enable. If not, the connection to/from Roon is being blocked by something.

Previous case of the above have been cause by port conflicts, firewalls blocking the connection (shouldn’t be the case for the Nucleus core), network connection issues.

Hows you ATV connected to your network?

Couple of things to try:
Connect the Core and ATV to the router - if not already
Temporarily disable the Denon/Marants Extension.

1 Like

There are a couple of ways to change volume with in the app:
On the Now Playing or Zones screen select the volume icon, selecting the icon will display a volume popup.

On the Screen saver display (the one that pops up after 20 sec) swipe up/down on the remotes touch pad.

Unfortunately Apple prevents assigning functions to the volume buttons on the ATV remote.

Turned out that I just needed to be launching the remote app on the ATV4K box at the same time I was trying to enable the extension in the Roon app. :grin:

1 Like

This is great! I am loving it. Any chance it will be able to display different artwork? I am thinking of skins for Kodi. It would be awesome if the Apple TV Extension could cycle through artists wallpaper, show band logos, disc art, etc. I have all kinds of art stored in each album folder that I would love to see while rocking out!

The App will display whatever you have set up as your artist and album art on your Roon Core. I’ll have to update some artist images! Wishlist - ability to view more artist images, add band logos, and album art on the Now Playing screen. Scrape fan art sites or use local art?

In the meantime, is it possible to have an option to disable the large album art display? More often than not the image is cropped and looks awkward.

Thanks, is there a way to get to Screen Saver without having to wait the 20 seconds. I like the swiping method of volume…

1 Like

Could you upload an example of the screen? Not too sure which display you mean.

Not at the moment I’m afraid. The screen save delay can be set in ATV > Settings > App. However 20 sec is currently the minimum value! :man_facepalming:

1 Like