Apple TV no sound at all

Hi there,
I have a very simple issue, AppleTV has no sound.
Previously it worked very well, but normally I don’t use it, maybe after some systems upgrade the AppleTV despite even now is still visible on the network and it works very well with other tools, like iPhone, iPad … unfortunately with Roon stopped to work.

Here some system info
MocOS 10.13.6 / Roon 1.6 (build 416)
probably you need more info, please tell me
I read similar thread, tried some solutions, but I’m still stuck.

Thanks

I look forward to hearing from you

Sante

Hi @Sante_Roon,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Are you able to play to other endpoints okay?

Do you receive any errors at all in Roon?

Dear Dylan,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I don’t have any issues at all, except with AppleTV and only via Roon.

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs)

• HighSierra, Mini Mac 8GB RAM

• Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

• TPLink Router Wireless Archer C1200, I changed also the network

• Audio devices in use

• Via USB Mcintosh DAC, wireless HomePod, AIrportExpress, AppleTV

No issues at all except AppleTV and only via Roon, AppleTV works fine with WiFi with other tools, the network does not seem the issue.

Honestly I tried in different ways, disable AppleTV, enable it with and without password, restarted RoonServer, the network, the AppleTV itself and in addition no issue from Roon, in theory the behaviour is like AppleTv works fine, but unfortunately there is no sound and “no errors from Roon”.

The strange aspect is that when you are using AppleTV with iPhone and then you attempt to activate it with Roon, the AppleTV stops the iPhone, in Roon AppleTV starts to play (but without sound), therefore it means there is connection between RoonServer and AppleTV.

Maybe is setup, but I didn’t change anything and the default is fine for me.

Thanks again for your support.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sante

Hi @Sante_Roon,

Thanks for providing that additional information. I have a few follow-up questions which may help clarify this issue further:

1. How is the Apple TV connected in this setup, is it using WiFi or Ethernet? If it is currently using WiFi, is there any change if you temporarily connect it via Ethernet?

2. Although this may seem like simple check, I do want to mention it regardless - have you made sure that the volume slider for the Apple TV zone is set adequately high to hear audio and that the TV has volume turned up as well?

3. Can you note the exact local time + date when you next output to the Apple TV and there is no sound? I would like to take a look at the diagnostics from your Core when this occurs to see if perhaps there are any additional clues.

Dear Noris,

thanks for your reply, here my answers:

1. Both situations unfortunately no sound, wired and wireless
  2. Just to be on the safe side, with other tools, like iPhone the appleTV works and can produce sounds
  3. Unfortunately, I cannot give you the time, but for sure I checked at the very beginning of my subscription, so few months ago.

As I told you RoonServer sent a signal for sure because the AppleTV stops to work if another source of sound is active.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you.

Sante

Hi @Sante_Roon,

Thanks for the info here. Moving forward, we are wanting to enable diagnostics on your account so we can take a closer look. First, I was hoping you can try playing to the Apple TV and note the local time + date that you press play, as well as what track you’re trying to play.

Once you provide this info we will enable diagnostics and the team will take a closer look.

Dear Dylan,

thanks again for following the issue.
I’m not sure if this is the info you wanna have:
9:34PM, the song is Autumn Leaves performed by Nat King Cole, AAC file (but the issue is the same even with FLAC files); by the way the airport express works fine, very strange.

Sante

Hi @Sante_Roon,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

If your Core is currently powered off, I kindly ask you to power it on and open the Roon app when possible so that the diagnostics package can be received by us. Thanks!

Thanks Noris,

I’ll activate the Core asap and then I’m gonna try to play and stop AppleTV few times, just for the sake of the tests cases collection.

Best regards and thanks again, I look forward to solving this trivial issue.

Sante

1 Like

Hi @Sante_Roon,

Just wanted to check in with you and let you know that the diagnostics package has been recieved by our servers. I’m not seeing anything jump out to me, so I’ve asked the QA team to review the diagnostics to see if they can provide any additional feedback. I will be sure to let you know once I have any more info and thanks in advance for your patience!

Hi Noris,

Thanks for the update, please keep in touch, because honestly it is very strange.

Of course I’m gonna to update you if there are any changes, maybe after some updates of iOS or some further resettings of it.

Keep in touch.

Sante

1 Like

Hello @Sante_Roon,

I appreciate your patience until I heard back from QA. Logs didn’t contain any concrete information, but they have made a few suggestions as to further troubleshoot this issue:

1. Can you please confirm that the sound bar actually progresses when this issue is occurring? It seems like the answer would be yes, but would be good to explicitly confirm.

2. If you use your Macbook, can you select the volume output to the Apple TV and play back a video off Youtube and see if that works? You should be able to set this output by pressing the volume slider in the Mac task bar and then selecting Apple TV.

3. If you use iTunes, can you confirm if you are able to properly output sound via it? This would be as an iTunes output and not through the system volume slider.

4. How is the Apple TV connected to the Endpoint? Is it using HDMI or some other kind of connection?

5. Has factory resetting the Apple TV changed anything with regards to the issue?

Dear Noris,

thanks for taking care of it. Here my reply.
If needed I can send a video, showing iTunes works vs Roon in silence.

1. Can you please confirm that the sound bar actually progresses when this issue is occurring? It seems like the answer would be yes, but would be good to explicitly confirm.
    Yes

2. If you use your Macbook, can you select the volume output to the Apple TV and play back a video off Youtube and see if that works?
    Yes
    You should be able to set this output by pressing the volume slider in the Mac task bar and then selecting Apple TV.

3. If you use iTunes, can you confirm if you are able to properly output sound via it? This would be as an iTunes output and not through the system volume slider.
    No issue with iTunes, it works perfectly

4. How is the Apple TV connected to the Endpoint? Is it using HDMI or some other kind of connection?
    This was also my original doubt, but I made a test also using directly HDMI with TV and again, it works with iTunes, “silence” with Roon

5. Has factory resetting the Apple TV changed anything with regards to the issue?
    I did a hard reset, basically from scratch, using the USB-c cable and the Mac book, unfortunately no changes in the bad behaviour.

The more strange thing is that any “airplay” apple tool works perfectly, HomePod, airport express, … but the new AppleTV4 “nada de nada”. It’s really a mystery.

Anyway, please tell me if I can do any other test for change in the configuration.

Sante

When viewing the Apple TV output on the display, swipe down on the remote. This should display audio output options and you should be able to navigate to the desired selection. I have had a similar situation directing the Apple TV output to my Homepods.

Hope this helps.

T.

I’m having the same problem but assumed it was because I’m running the beta tvOS 13. When you try and play to the AppleTV using AirPlay, is there any playback screen on the AppleTV? With mine, Roon shows that it is playing (progress bars moves, playback chain lit up as normal) but ATV just sits there doing nothing.

Dear Ast0b0y,

Thanks for sharing.
I have the same behavior, but I’m not using any beta version.
Anyway let’s wait further analysis from Roon Support, maybe with the next update it could be solved or at least explained.
Regards

Sante

Dear dbtom2,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Unfortunately the type of issue in my case could not be solved with this.

Anyway, thanks again for your support.

Sante

Hi @Sante_Roon,

Can you please try inputting the following settings on your Apple TV and let me know if it changes anything with regards to the issue?

A. Settings > AirPlay > Allow Access > Require Password = On
B. Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Output > Ensure that the only output selected is the one ending in (HDMI)

Thanks!

Dear Noris,

Thanks again for don’t give up!

Unfortunately nothing happened, the issue is still there.
Hopefully we are gonna find the solution, soon or later.

Best regards

Sante

Hi Sante,

I’m going to jump in and ask a couple of questions (I’m not support).

If you play from Roon, do you see the artist and track display at the top right on your tv screen when it first starts to play? Also, after a minute or so, the album should display on the screen.

In a Device Settings in Roon for the Apple TV, do you have it set to Fixed or Device Volume?

Cheers, Greg

1 Like