Apple Watch Support?

Realised yesterday I also want watch support while floating in the pool and wanting to bump the volume and skip. Eventually did it with the bluos app (using my node 2).

1 Like

I vote for a good mobile solution before integrating with watches.

2 Likes

I am quite satisfied with just using Tidal for mobile, so mobile integration has no priority if you as me.
I would rather have watch functionality.
But I suspect that we do not get watch integration for the same reasons that we have no lock screen functionality (Xamarin does not suport it)

Iā€™ve had an Apple Watch 4 since Christmas, and love the simplicity of the app for music that works for some apps that run through my iPhone. The watch lists basic track info, skip forward or skip back, and volume. For most cases that his all I need and I soon realized what a pain it is to pick up the phone every time I want to do the same thing. Roon should have this watch functionality too. I think where it gets tricky is Roon might be playing using an iPad or a different zone. That is a little more complicated as the watch really only integrates with the phone. That is probably the key issue that would need to be resolved.

4 Likes

Another vote for Apple Watch support in Roon 1.7 please!

5 Likes

Apple Watch support is long overdue. At this point, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if Plex offers it firstā€¦

1 Like

If Apple Watch support comes before Classical improvements I will definitely be off ā€¦

How many Apple Watch users ?

Iā€™m betting there are plenty of Apple Watch usersā€¦2 in my house. No classical needs here though. While I do have classical stuff on file itā€™s not what I would call my go to choice for a tune. Iā€™d have mobile before watch support given a choice :nerd_face:

1 Like

I would like Apple watch before mobile any day!
I donā€™t listen to classical but I agree with Mike that classical improvements is more important than the nice but not need to have mobile and Apple Watch functionality.
The reason is that managing your music is core functionality and there are still problems with classical. I understand that Box sets is one example.

Hey guys. Just came on to post a workaround I found.

Group your iPhoneā€™s zone with your computersā€™ zone in the Roon iOS app. Once thatā€™s done, reduce the volume on your iPhone to 0, then enjoy.

6 Likes

Good news, Iā€™m going to try this!

Another cool footnote with this method is if youā€™ve got a bluetooth speaker; connect it to your phone. When you step away from your computer, raise the iOS volume on your watch. Youā€™ll never be without music again.

While I would love to have some simple Apple Watch support, Iā€™d much rather have a better iphone app. The iphone app is painfully slow, particularly since it seems to have to go back to the server every time you switch between pages. And there is no way to select multiple albums if you are trying to play more than one album from an artist, or add to your library from qubuz or tidal. A multi-select (for albums and tracks) would help a lot.

Thanks for the workaround Scott! A bonus is that if a phone call comes in, it pauses the system.

I really like the Apple watch apps for Spotify, iPeng, Foobar2000 etc. I donā€™t know why Apple products dont get the attention they deserve from Roon.

I think you can only legitimately get full control functionality from iOS/WatchOS when using it as the audio output device. However, I cant offhand recall enough of the APIs to remember what is actually technically possible.

The other problem with Apple is that while something may be technical possible for a specific use case, doing so may be against their guidelines which get changed over time. This is further complicated because while you may get an edge case through app store review process, it is not uncommon for apple to decide to start rigorously enforcing guidelines in an scenario whether they havnā€™t before, with the result that you app gets pulled form the app store long after it was approved. If you are very lucky, you find out they are going to pull it. Usually you find out they have already pulled it.

Android by comparison used to be pretty much the wild west, though I think Google are tightening up as well.

I am hoping that what is possible and allowed may improve a bit in iOS 13 + Watch OS 6. Standalone apps for Watch OS are coming which I am looking forward to both as a user and developer.

The only explanation for not wanting Watch integration is that you donā€™t have an apple watch. Once you have one playback control from the watch becomes the coolest thing ever. I used Apple Music for one year with watch integration and itā€™s become second nature; now I am in the 14 days trial with Roon and this is the thing I miss the most in Roon
That is not to say that I donā€™t get a lot with Roon that Apple Music just canā€™t do, but lacking this integration is my number one reason to still doubt the decision to subscribe.

The hack proposed by @Scott_Morton (thank you for that!) is a major tipping point for me - it doesnā€™t always work perfectly and you cant control volume with it, but its better than nothingā€¦
By the way, itā€™s not just playback control - I play a lot of Roon radio or shuffle playlists and itā€™s just amazing to just raise my wrist and see whatā€™s playingā€¦

4 Likes

Actually my Mac does that too even outputting to a ropieee RPi endpoint with usb or dac hatā€¦stumped me the first time it happened, roon was running as the remote on the mac

I would love to have Apple Watch support as well.

It is here : Tidal now on Apple Watch

1 Like

Why is it so difficult to use an Apple Watch for Next, Prev, Play, Stop and using the digital crown as volume setting?