AppleTV as Display

Fumbled through and got it working! Many thanks :slight_smile:

I would also love an AppleTV display feature.

1 Like

@Paul_Askew Great! Glad you got it working!

Hi Matthew,

Is it still the case that without a developer account, you would need to re-install the app regularly to the appletv?

Would it be possible for you to publish (and charge?) this app in the App store?

I think you need to recompile it regularly- every 30 days if I remember correctly.

Post above https://community.roonlabs.com/t/appletv-as-display/50092/82 explains why it won’t be able to be published on the Apple App Store.

Shoot, Apple in the last few years has narrowed it down to 7 days for non-paid developer accounts. For a paid developer account I believe it lasts a year (don’t quote me on that, that is my somewhat dated experience) but will cost you $99/year.

Blinky is correct - Apple will reject any and all AppleTV apps that attempt to use a “Web View”. Apps like mine have to use a bit of a hack to even incorporate it. Their game, their rules unfortunately. Really, Roon Labs or somebody with more time and skill than me would need to build a custom app in Swift or Objective-C that connects to Roon and syncs “now playing” data to displays it.

I would love a display app for AppleTV

1 Like

I’ve cloned your repo and I’m going to build it when I have chance but life has taken an unexpected turn with COVID-19 so who knows when I will be able to :scream:

My Apple TV is down in Wales and I won’t be able to go collect it until the UK lockdown is removed :astonished:

1 Like

Stay safe Binky - I wish we had leadership like that on this side of the pond. Unfortunately, our leaders care more about short term profits and their own bank accounts vs. people’s lives.

2 Likes

Thanks… everyone need to stay safe

Staying home for at least the next 12 weeks and thankfully I can continue to work or I’d be going crazy because my wife would want all the jobs around the house sorting :rofl:

Just migrating Roon onto a new machine and then the lovely music will start flowing around the house again :+1:

Terrific; all up and running. Thanks for taking the time to do this and for sharing. This is exactly what I was looking for as an Apple TV solution.

1 Like

A native app for this would be great, Kudos to the clever chap who compiled the Xcode version, I may try that if feeling brave!

By coincidence, I have just received the email shown below from Roon. It seems to imply the Apple TV can be used as a display…

Thoughts?

if you play on atv, it shows the album artwork not like Chromecast but like every other app does on your iPhone

Aah, ok… i think the email is misleading regard the Apple TV as a display, then… no live lyrics or artist photos.

Hi Matthew,

I’m cloning your repo and can work on the splash screen. I’ll also add layering to the app icon if you’d like.

Cheers,
Jason

I completely forgot about this. Initially, i was using the developer account of a friend, which expired and became too annoying to get this re-build every week so i stopped using the app.

Anyway, since the app has been already shared, i’m leaving here the images i’ve used, in case someone wants to use them - https://we.tl/t-RPaugEEgv5

That would be awesome, Jason - thank you!

could you explain what you mean – how can you get roon showing something on ATV?

Use the AppleTV as a Roon endpoint via Airplay. When you play to it the album art and details will appear on screen after a while.