ARC bit-perfect in Android phone! [To External USB-DAC]

UAPP is only one person doing it all including the LG phones, so certainly doable.

1 Like

@brian can you hire him?

2 Likes

@Tobes
It was unclear to me at first too that uapp highres driver is not about usb audio at all.
https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver
Quote:
…Note that this direct driver is used with the internal audio of the phone in combination with headphones connected to the phone directly and is completely unrelated to the situation where you would use our USB audio driver in combination with a USB DAC…

A bit off topic here though.

And does little else, it’s hardly a feature rich app.

Exact same problem here with the Qudelix which is my work setup. Work fine with my Cayin RU6 at home, no volume issue neither.

Steps to reproduce. open arc, open settings, select usb driver on, close arc, plug dac, a message poped up, do you want app arc to manage usb dac, click yes, adjust(lower) volume, then play random track. phone is one plus 7pro with android 11 full fw name - Oxygen OS 11.0.9.1.GM21AA, dac/amp is FiiO ka3 on latest fw 2.0, arc version 1 build 92.
Also when changing sample rate, phone speaker makes cracking noise.

3 Likes

Hi all!
I have an iFi GO Bar portable DAC and after installing the latest update for ROON-ARC i can confirm that this DAC works great with ROON-ARC. It even detected it as a full MQA decoder as the MQA led goes either green or blue depending on if the song is MQA or Studio-MQA. For example, when using TIDAL on the Android phone and allowing TIDAL to use the DAC directly, the led goes magenta when playing MQA songs, which means that TIDAL is performing the first unfolding of the MQA track, which in turn means that TIDAL treats the DAC as a MQA renderer and not a MQA full decoder. In this aspect ROON-ARC works better than TIDAL. Also since the iFi Go Bar has hardware volume control i don’t have any issue with the sound levels when i connect the DAC to the phone.
So i am very happy that the ROON developers have made this update.
I do have another portable DAC (DDHiFi TC35 Pro), this one without volume control, and i also report that when connected, the sound volume is extremely loud. When pressing the volume down on the phone it jumps to the correct volume.

Well, I’m not sure he hardly does anything else, but the app development over time continues to impress me. Balancing feature bloat, usability and customer satisfaction is an art. Just look at any Microsoft product that is the way it is and able to get away with it partially due to their illegal monopolistic behavior.

For bit perfect, UAPP may still win for me over Roon on my LG phones.

2 Likes

The recommendation of Fiio is that you push le volume of the device to the maximum and fine tune it with the volume rocker on the BTR5. For me, this works fine.

I even get the direct path, without any resampling, with the LDAC codec blocked on the maximum value: 990 kbit/s.

Yet, this works only if I adjust sampling rate and bit depth in the developer options of the Android device to the sampling rate and the bit depth of the source. Any mismatch elicits resampling and bit depth conversion. But this seems to be a problem with Android or Bluetooth, not ARC. It is silly anyway that you have to dig in the developer options to set the right values.

Any insights, how this can be solved, are wellcome!

Samsung Galaxy S22, ARC, BRT5.
With Dragonfly cobalt, no problem, over the USB connection the two devices undersand each other!

Any way to get fixed volume in ARC? It works fine for remotes.

Mmh, in here the question is about the hardware volume control in using the DAC as USB DAC and this isn’t working with ARC and the BTR5.
Bluetooth is a complete other thing…

2 Likes

You are right, I am referring to a Bluetooth connection. Actually, I bought the BTR5 as a Bluetooth receptor to avoid straining the USB connector on the phone. (The BTR5 is a USB DAC/AMP like the Dragonflies with the addition of Bluetooth communication.)

I have now connected the phone with the BTR5 using the C to C connector and I am very satisfied with the result. ARC complies with the recommendation by FiiO to set the volume to the maximum on the phone and to fine tune it on the DAC: ARC sets automatically the volume of the phone to the maximum and makes the volume rocker on the phone inoperant, so you have to set the volume on the DAC.

The advantage with the USB connection is that there is no resampling, whatever the source I use.

I don’t know whether the volume in the BTR5 is controlled in the digital of in the analog domain.

dB Magix Flute-C (Type-C) and TempTec Sonata HD V volume control not working, full volume blasting no matters what volume control setting, silent or BLAST.

Dragonfly Red firmware 1.08 is working fine.

Also the ifi xDSD Gryphon isn’t working as expected.
Sometimes hardware volume control works, then stops working or jumps to another value…

I think, that there is a bit misunderstanding, what hardware volume control means.
It’s not, that the output volume for USB out will controlled, but the volume in the USB DAC itself, like you will take the volume knob (if there is any) on the USB DAC.

I’m using an Astell & Kern AK HC2 usb dac and can confirm that i almost blew out my eardrums (almost, because i took heed of advice from a poster above and thankfully did not put the iems in my ears). yep… max volume with this usb dac.

My iems were in my ears. You cannot imagine the pleasure I’ve experienced… Anyways, I hope this get addressed soon (hopefully)

1 Like

Can we expect a future update for non DAC users like myself, or will this only work with DACs? I have a Samsung S22+ and Galaxy Pro Buds 2 which are wireless. Unless I’m totally missing something that is staring me in the face you need wired headphones to use a DAC with a phone?

We ordered that DAC a couple of days ago, and it was unboxed about 10mins ago. We’ll get it sorted out. I’m sure there is just some detail about the chipset that we are not massaging in the right way.

We are planning to do another driver for “direct output” to built-in headphone jacks on DAPs and phones, but before that, we are hoping to add DSP to ARC. With our team size, we can only really do one large ARC audio project at a time, so we have to prioritize.

As for your Pixel Buds, very few bluetooth device + phone combinations support lossless playback regardless of how ARC works because bluetooth transmission virtually always involves lossy codecs, so there really isn’t a lot for us to improve on there.

14 Likes