ARC bit-perfect in Android phone! [To External USB-DAC]

2 posts were split to a new topic: ARC USB Issues on Android (Signal Path)

Sorry, you are correct. I just tried with my HC2 and Samsung S21+ with Arc and experienced the same thing. Set at max and showing 0 volume with no way to turn down the volume. I assume since the HC2 is Roon certified, Roon has the HC2 on hand to test.

For the folks with FiiO KA3(I guess this works for other fiio dongles), here is a workaround how not to shoot the driver trough your eardrums. Go to the play store and download fiio control, next open it and set the max volume from there - default is 120, I set mine to 95. This settings are saved in the amp controller and they cannot be overwritten otherwise. You may also want to set gain from high to low. That’s it. I’ve reinstalled arc as well. So here comes the interesting part. I cannot reproduce the issues now. Volume control is functioning properly also the poping noise from the phone speaker when changing the bit rate of the USB DAC is gone.

Correction! After playing music via arc for 30-40 mins, closing and opening the app and connecting and disconnecting the DAC both issues resurfaced. Reconnecting DAC it sets playback volume to max(ignoring android volume slider position, this is happening only once on the first connect of the DAC to the phone), which is crazy, at least now it’s not so loud because I restricted what the controller inside the device is doing with the amp, and the second one is there as well. Popping noise via phone speaker on each track change. How I can provide more info or data so this get troubleshooted from dev or reproduced by qa? Btw I will try to reproduce tomorrow with another android phone to see what happens. Cheers

ps no issues with UAPP which I am using as well

1 Like

Interesting there is no such issues with FIIO KA2

I have a Fiio KA1 and it’s not decoding MQA. The light changes to yellow when playing 96khz files on Qobuz, and the Fiio app shows 96khz BUT when playing a 96khz MQA file the light stays blue (44.1) and the Fiio app shows 44.1khz
DOes this update include MQA unfolding? I have the latest firmware from Fiio

DAC Model: Fiio KA1 v1.2

The KA1 would not work with my Pixel 6A or OnePlus 9 Pro, so I returned it and got the KA2 (almost went for the KA3) and was surprised to see that it worked perfectly with both.
I have slightly limited the volume in the app and installed the firmware update in Windows.

I have been very happy with the sound and the latest ARC update (previous build’s made it so hot that I could barely touch the KA2)

I don’t have any MQA to test sorry, but I did try Roon local 24/192 and from Qobuz and lots of 24/96 without issue.

1 Like

None of the fiio ka1/2/3 support MQA. The app on the phone should do the first stage of unfolding. After the bump to the new fw they produce less heat because of the adaptive power policy. If you play on lower resolution it burns less electricity and emit less heat.

Cool, but doesnt really help those that have decent DACs within their phones…ie Sony Xperia.

I guess I will have to use Qobuz App instead of ARC

Doesn’t that just use an off the shelf Qualcomm DAC?

Please add bit perfect to original roon app.

The original Roon app is a remote. Bit perfect is handled by the core. Am I misunderstanding your post?

Thank you … but not before my ears were blown out!
Since my headphone dac does not have a volume app I will stick to USB Audio Player for that purpose.

What DAC are you using? We are looking into the volume issue. It does not present on most devices, but we have a list of 4-5 affected products so far, and have managed to source a couple of them this week so we can look into it for the next release.

1 Like

JCALLY JM10 - Not mainstream, so do not expect it to be in your checklist.

Hidizs Sonata S8 not working with phone hardware volume (Samsung S20, Android 12).
The S20 phone volume works fine for the Hidizs S8 with the UAPP player app - so it can certainly be achieved.
Note the Hidizs S8 has its own volume buttons, which do work with ARC, but the changes are so coarse they are unusable except by luck.

So that’s neither of my usb dongle dacs - Hidzs S8 or Meizu Hifi Pro - allowing volume adjustment with phone (Samsung s20/Android 12). But both work with UAPP.

Hate to harp on it - I realize this is early days for ARC - but UAPP also allows selection of the number of volume steps for precise adjustment along with a very comprehensive list of other adjustments.

i cannot see the logic of this. This is about those who are not happy with the DAC in their phone and are therefore using external DACs. If you are happy with the DAC in your phone, you can continue to use ARC as it is, without an external DAC.

Love them OPPO HA2 :+1:. I’ve got a handful of modest DACs/ DAC Amps to test this weekend like my HA2 along w/ my Meridian Explorer, Explorer II, a couple of Schitts ( Fulla 2 & a Modi 2 Uber), and a Topping D50. Coincidentally, I just upgraded my phone last week from my old, trusty Samsung S8 Active to a new S22 Ultra.

Q: ROON ARC app, vs ROON app, is the ONLY method on my (now S22 Ultra) Android​:iphone:that can play out any/all of my 96/24 to 192/24 (or certain DSD files) via my above DACs? My ROON Core is a SmGrnCmptr sonicTransporter i5 from 2018 (never fails :muscle:). Obviously I’ve never had HiRez success on any Android​:iphone: via ROON and I’ve not tested the ARC on my Active8 much less the new S22 Ultra.

Kudos to ROON’s team :clap:.

Love the new feature! Focal Bathys only plays at max volume. I hope this device makes the list to be fixed soon. Using the Bathys on ARC would be amazing.

Update: We are 95% sure that we understand the max volume issue and that it is the same for all affected DACs. We will know more next week when a few more pieces of hardware dribble in.

14 Likes

Just to add to the thread,

Using a relativly cheap usb to 1/8" adaptor cable with a built in DAC Chip (dosmix) . currently getting 192khz at 24bit and then its doing a 64bit float to do the volume leveling and final playout is 192Khz @ 32bits out of my google pixel 5. Sounds fantastic, but occasionally freezes or pops but not to often and for first beta version very impressive.

The is also occasional volume changes almost blew out ears once but it seems to have stabilized. again could be function of the Cheapo Dac (cant hope for too much on a 32.00 US Dac).

DSD albums i have , which are owned in my library. playback is erratic it shows those at 192 khz / 24 bit sometimes and as dsd others and other times wont even show the dsd versions. maybe just trying to push this to far to soon…

But in closing very impressive.