ARC can not connect to Roon Core (Netgear Nighthawk)

Similar problems - I have a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router, which shows UPnP ‘on’, but does this look like it’s not?

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“xxx”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Getting the exact same issue as you, Barry. Also have a Netgear Nighthawk, XR300 in my case. I tried port forwarding/triggering with no success. No firmware updates available either. I saw in another thread the 504 status_code suggests the “dual NAT” issue in the ARC setup guide. I may try turning UPnP off after work, restarting the router, and turning it back on.

I’m wondering how your router connects to the internet? Is it going to a modem/router or directly to a fiber network terminal? I’m the latter, so I think my router is just an access point. However, I have noticed in the settings that it’s not currently set as a WAP or a bridge. Just wondering if there’s any similarity to those of us getting the error below

1 Like

My router is going to a modem. Nothing fancy!

1 Like

I may have resolved my issues, by setting the core to a static IP, and assigning port forwarding access to 55000 (which is what the FAQs say, I admit). My fingers are crossed…

If not, I’m wondering if this would help? There’s an option in the Netgear WAN setup to set NAT type to “Open” NAT TYPE FIX NIGHTHAWK FOR GAMING 2020 - YouTube.

I think I have sorted myself, but that NAT setting looks interesting too.

Check out Error in Roon 2.0 documentation - Manual configuration of ARC port - 55000 won’t work unless you enter it manually on the Roon ARC tab in place of the port number it chose

1 Like

Thanks, John. That was the final piece in my jigsaw!

I’ve added port forwarding back as well and all seems fixed for me too! Wonder what the hang up was for the first 20 tries… Godspeed to everyone else still figuring it out.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkTimeout”,“status_code”:998,“error”:“”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“xxxx”,“router_external_ip”:null},
}

Upnp is active on the router. I’ve tried port forwarding as well, with same result.

ok restarted Roon and now it’s working

1 Like

Silly me, that’s why mine wasn’t working. I had to forward the ports on both my router, and my ISP modem/router. (Network within a network)

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, but understand none of the advice. What does it mean to “forward the ports” , and to add port forwarding? Are there any step-by-step instructions available that will fix this?

My error reads:
{
“external_ip”:{“actual_external_ip”: null,“router_external_ip”:null),
“natpmp_autoconfig”:{“status”:NotFound"},
“pnp_autoconfig”:{“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Hi Robert, when we’re talking about port forwarding, we’re referring to your network router receiving a request from the internet (Roon Arc) and passing it along to your Roon server. I can’t give specific instructions without knowing your router and some more details about the network. But, here is the general procedure.

Generally, this is turned on in the router settings. Under the Roon Arc Settings in your Roon client (app, desktop app), there should be a Roon Core IP address listed and a port number. Something like 55001 or 55000. It may be random. It doesn’t matter much what it is.

You can sign into your router (usually by typing 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1 into your web browser) and access the settings. Port forwarding options are usually in the advanced settings. You can take the Roon Core IP address and the port number listed in the app and “allow” port forwarding to your Roon Core’s IP address and the port number.

Roon has some derailed advice here regarding setup: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/arc-port-forwarding

How did you do this exactly please?

Thanks! My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R8000. My Roon Core is a Naim Sonic Transporter. I looked on the Roon app and learned the roon core ip address and the port number (which I changed to 55000). I then logged onto the router to access settings, went to “advanced” and then “port forwarding/port triggering.” There I am asked to choose a service name from a drop down menu. I’m not sure which to select. There’s a space to enter the Server IP Address and so I entered the roon ip address. There’s no place to enter a port number, but it lists an External Start Port and an Internal Start Port. However, neither of these of a different format from the port number. So I’m not sure what to do with this information.

Also, assuming I do enter these settings correctly. Then what?

I’ve followed the detailed advice on the link you mention. I’ve got through the Still Having Issues secction and none of the fixes have worked. I’m assuming this means I’m forced to use the Manual Configuration (But the language of the documentation is very conditional, so I’m not sure whether I have to do so or whether there is an easier way. It asks if I would like to manually configure and in fact I would not like to. But I will if I have to.) If I’m to do the manual configuration I’ll need more details than are provided in the “detailed instructions”, since the first step – Setting a Static IP Address on your Core-- is not very obvious to me.

The only remaining step is “contact the support team”, which I’ve already done and has led me back here, pondering what this all means.

I’d appreciate any advice.

Robert

I have the same issue with my Netgear RAX80. I raised the issue last week as part of the beta testing. Not sure what the issue is with Netgear kit. Hopefully we will get a response/fix soon.

Nick

If there is an option in the Advanced Settings to ‘Add Custom Service’, select that, and it gives you the option to add the port number manually after you’ve selected your core from the list of devices. That should do it, if you’ve assigned a static IP address to the core.

Hi Robert, the name in the dropdown doesn’t matter much. It will try to autofill a plausible port for the service you selected. I ended up with a random label and edited it. As long as you can edit the port, you’re in good shape. Based on my setup, the internal/external start port are set to the same thing. In your case, 55000.

The static IP address seems to really be a pain point for a lot of people. There appears to be a lot of questionable interpretations floating around. As I understand it, the only IP that needs to be static is your Roon Core.

In my settings, which are slightly different than yours because our routers are a bit different, I have an option in Settings > Setup > LAN Setup > Address reservation. I think that this option is the thing that will assign your Roon core the same IP every time. You can add just the Roon Core’s IP here and in theory, when that machine connects to your network, it will always get the same IP address. How do I reserve an IP address on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support
This way, I can let the router do everything else dynamically, which is what I want.

Thanks for your help. That seems to have fixed it. I tried to keep track of my steps so that I could explain to others, but got hopelessly entangled by a series of back-and-forths. in the end, it has worked out, although I will never ever be able to reproduce these steps!

1 Like