ARC can't reconfigure when server IP changes

This is more of a bug report than a support request but I thought it might be helpful for Support to see. I recently physically relocated my Roon server in my home which led to it getting assigned a new internal IP address. Naturally port forwarding and Roon ARC stopped working. Trying to reset Roon ARC through the Roon interface resulted in the below error message, so I had to go into my router’s settings and turn UPnP off and then back on to reset things. Subsequently, ARC set-up worked. I’m not sure if it would be possible to catch this error and check if the server’s IP address has changed, but I thought I would share. Thanks for the great work with Roon.

{
"ipv4_connectivity": {"status":"NetworkError","status_code":502,"error":"error: Error: connect EHOSTUNREACH 73.aaa.bbb.ccc:55002, response code: undefined, body: undefined"},
"external_ip": {"actual_external_ip":"73.aaa.bbb.ccc","actual_external_ipv6":"null","router_external_ip":"null"},
"natpmp_autoconfig": {"server_ip":"192.168.0.1","found_natpmp":true},
"upnp_autoconfig": {"server_ip":"192.168.0.1","found_upnp":true,"error":"<s:Envelope xmlns:s=\"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\"s:encodingStyle=\"http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\"><s:Body><s:Fault><faultcode>s:Client</faultcode><faultstring>UPnPError</faultstring><detail><UPnPError xmlns=\"urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0\"><errorCode>718</errorCode><errorDescription>ConflictInMappingEntry</errorDescription></UPnPError></detail></s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>"}
}

This is one of the reasons that it is a good idea to use a DHCP address reservation for the roon server.

If you do this, then DHCP will always allocate the same ip address to the server.

A DHCP reservation is preferable to a static ip address. It achieves the same result but makes it easier to perform certain network related operations in the future such as swapping to a different router configured for a different lan side ip address range.

1 Like

Hi @Jason_Walsh1,

There’s a conflict in the port assignment that Roon has attempted to auto-configure in Roon → Settings → ARC.

While it’s not the most user-friendly at this stage, the diagnostic message contains a ConflictInMappingEntry line.

First, you’ll need to either reactivate UPnP or create a manual port forwarding rule in your router’s web GUI that matches the static IP and port assignment from Roon → Settings → ARC.

Next, please try changing the port to a different value, augmented by several thousand. Like 60000 or otherwise. Your router web GUI will likely have a list of reserved port ranges - try to pick one that’s free.

We’ll follow up from there. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.