ARC downloads too slow/do not complete

Roon Server Machine

Synology NAS DS1621+. AMD Ryzen, 32GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquiti giga switches. NAS with 2x1GB bonded. Ubiquiti Wifi. No VPN.

Connected Audio Devices

iPhone 13Pro

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Using latest Roon ARC on my phone while on local WiFi to download tracks and it will download 16 of ~240 and then hang. For some reason it seems to repeatedly hang after 16 tracks. It will download 15 tracks from one album, start a 2nd album and then hang (1 track remaining on the first and then 8-10 or whatever on the 2nd album).

I’ve tried killing ARC and restarting and that doesn’t help. Deleting an album that is being downloaded will result in another album to start downloading, but the problem will continue.

Download hanging here:

Settings:

Proof of zero progress 12 minutes later:

Are you keeping the iPhone unlocked, ideally plugged in, and ARC in the foreground? It will stop otherwise.

Anyway, download speed sucks in the current production version (and all versions before). Luckily there is currently a new version in early access testing with much improved downloads. Shouldn’t be very long until it reaches the production track

1 Like

Yes. It’s super annoying since I gotta keep tapping the screen or it will lock. That plus the nearly infinite download time makes this feature basically a horrible joke. :frowning:

There is a setting to turn off screen lock in iOS.
But really, the new version in testing is so much better

A lot of people can’t do that due to corporate MDM policies. Anyways, I get on a flight tomorrow at 7am, so yeah, maybe next time…

If you need something for your local library, just works easier imo.

1 Like

I’ll have to check that out sometime, but I’ve got a few gigs of music already downloaded via Apple Music.

1 Like

Hi @Aaron_Turner,

Poor timing on your issue here! We released an update specifically catered to Arc downloads on Wednesday the 10th this week. I hope this has since helped with your download process, certainly let me know the next time you give it a go. :+1:

Back home and giving it a try… wow, this is much faster. The new smart downloads feature seems really cool too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.