ARC fails when syncing to core [Update to Build 1148]

Hey @noris et al., I think I managed to fix ARC syncing for my library.

Here’s the short version of what I did:

1. Restored a backup of my database from about a month ago and re-lauched.
  2. Gave it 30 minutes or so for Roon to update the database to 2.0 format, resync Tidal, and generally settle out.
  3. Went into Settings > Setup and gave the restored core a slightly different name.
  4. Deleted the ARC app from my phone and re-installed.
  5. Logged in to ARC and made sure to choose the newly-renamed core.

The Long Version:

Based on @Derek_Coleman’s investigative work above, I thought it was probably an issue with the database. I initially tried restoring a backup from 2-3 days ago, but this didn’t fix it.

Next, I tried creating a new, empty roon database (using a different installation of roon) and setting up ARC on it, and the iphone app was able to sync with the new database!

At that point, I remembered that a week or so ago I was having a problems with the iPhone app crashing, and the fix ended up being to clear the image cache:
iPhone App crashing repeatedly - Support - Roon Labs Community

So at that point I tried restoring a backup from a few days before I cleared the image cache to fix the app issue. That version of the database wouldn’t sync, so I cleared the image cache and tried again, but still no sync.

By this point, I had realized a significant side effect from all my experimentation: All these different versions of the database had the same core name, and they seemed to stay “visible” to the Roon apps even after I though I had killed them. :zombie: I was able to connect to the empty one and rename it, so that eliminated one duplicate.

Next I restored a database backup from about 6 weeks ago, before the problems with the iphone app started happening. (Not a big deal, because I have not been making significant changes to my roon library for years–mostly because it has not been available to use outside my home :wink:). It took a good while after the database restoration for it to become usable, maybe 5-10 minutes. Once I could connect to it, I went to Settings > Setup and gave it a new name to distinguish it from the other “zombie cores” I had spawned. At some point in there I also rebooted the core pc to try to flush out some of those zombies.

With my restored and renamed database up and available, I deleted the Roon ARC app, settings, and data from my phone, then reinstalled and tried again. Boom! That fixed it. (Although it did take me a minute to get my Roon Remote apps connected to the new core database.

P.S. Here’s where I learned that troubleshooting process with empty/restored databases:

1 Like