ARC freezes and iPhone 13 gets hot [Roon Investigating]

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC10 Performance kit running ROCK (latest version)
512GB M.2 SSD (system)
2x8GB SO-DIMM RAM
8TB 2.5” SATA SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus RT-AX92U
NUC connected with ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Macbook Pro, iPad Pro, Bluesound Node 2i but relevant for this the iPhone 13.

Number of Tracks in Library

225.000 tracks
mp3, alac, flac (very little above CD quality)

Description of Issue

The ARC app freezes and the phone gets very hot. It worked great from the beginning then after a couple of weeks this exact thing happened. Then you pushed out the latest update and everything worked great again (like 60+ hours in 4 weeks), up until now.

Closing and starting the app again doesn’t help, neither restarting the phone and reinstalling the app didn’t help either. Restarting the NUC and router didn’t help either.
From launching the app until it freezes takes about 8 seconds of scrolling, even on the settings page. Just checked and just opening and not touching anything makes it freeze. Music plays fine if it’s started before it freezes but the phone gets very hot.

Happens on both wifi and 4G.
80+ GB free on the phone, Arc documents and data is at 1.5 GB.

Since it takes weeks to manifest it might be something that accumulates over time, one would think that deleting the app would clear that up but it doesn’t.

The latest update didn’t change anything regarding this problem. However I tried deleting the app again and this time made sure to completely delete the app and the files associated with it. After reinstalling and logging in it works again. So I guess the database gets too large, or corrupt due to some syncing issue, or some other fun reading error …

At least I have a temporary solution when it craps out.

Hi @Mikael_Hagstrom,

We’re actively investigating several reports resembling the issue you’ve encountered above. While connectivity and the load on the phone from other apps obviously affect every report, neither your Roon database size nor hardware suggests the memory pressure evident in logs is to be expected.

The phone does encounter acute memory pressure in logging around the time of your report. I’m curious about what other apps you have open (if any), or if you’re playing to an endpoint other than the system output on the iPhone 13. Do you encounter this issue with only local files, or is streaming (TIDAL/Qobuz) affected as well? Streaming playback involves extra server requests, so this will help eliminate connectivity as a culprit.

In the meantime, consider this investigation, and I’m sorry that you’ll have to resort to the workaround you’ve mentioned. We’ll hopefully have a more fruitful next step soon.

At the moment when the error has occurred nothing else have been running, but usually during subway transit it’s running at the same time as the reddit app or the app for the Swedish newspaper DN.

It is only with local files, I don’t have any streaming service hooked up to Roon so that’s not a culprit for me at least. But since I could get it to freeze browsing the settings page without music playing it seems logical that it is something with the data/metadata loading that gets messed up.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification, @Mikael_Hagstrom. We’re syncing with Development today, so hopefully the tech support team can have a fruitful next step to provide shortly.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.