ARC Inaccessible After Router Reboot

Roon Server Machine

ROCK on NUC i7

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    BT

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Router

1. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    Four wireless access point, but ROCK is on a wired connection to router

2. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No

Connected Audio Devices

iPhone 14 iOS 17

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

ARC works fine most of the time, but if my router auto updates or needs a reboot I need to restart Roon Server to re-establish the upnp firewall setup.

Am I missing something I need to set-up or should I submit a feature request for an automatics check on firewall setup and reconnect if needed?

Presumably, it takes a while for Roon Server to re-establish the uPnP port forwarding rule after the router is rebooted.

As an alternative, you could turn uPnP off and set up an explicit port forwarding rule in your router.

This would involve several steps:

1. Make sure that the router’s DHCP server always issues the same ip address to the Roon server (if you don’t do this, then there is a chance that, the ip address issued to the Roon server will change and then the port forwarding rule will fail). The best way to do this is to use an ip address reservation in your routers DHCP settings.
  2. If the ip address that you have reserved is different to the current ip address of the Roon server, you may need to reboot the NUC in order to get it to pick up the new ip address.
  3. In the router WAN settings, you need to create a port forwarding rule to forward connections on the Roon ARC port to the ip address of the Roon server. Both the ARC port and the server ip address can be found in Roon → Settings → ARC.
    The settings for this are likely to be something like:
    Rule Name: Roon ARC (or whatever you want)
    External port: The Roon ARC port shown in the Roon ARC settings
    Internal/Destination ip address: The ip address of the Roon server shown in the Roon ARC settings which should be the ip address you have reserved in step 1 above.
    Protocol: TCP

The advantage of this method over uPnP is that the port forwarding rule is part of the router settings and so it is established as soon as the router powers up without any action being required on the part of the Roon server.

3 Likes

Thanks @Wade_Oram

Very comprehensive.

I’m comfortable setting up the manual port forwarding rule, I just wish I didn’t have to.

In my experience Roon server has never reestablished the upnp so unless there’s another way to fix this I’ll let the support teams decide if this is a feature request or bug to fix and I can report it or they can move this query topic accordingly.

1 Like