ARC is simply unusable for me

Steve_Lees, is it possible your external IP address is changing frequently? I have Comcast 1gb down 50Mb up. They have been “upgrading” the service in my area and the IP address of my cable modem has changed 4 times in the last month. ARC has failed after each change and, to get it working again, I’ve had to reset ARC from the Roon Remote at home each time.

Maybe someone from Roon can confirm, but I believe Roon must be hosting their own DDNS to facilitate ARC. I suspect when you setup ARC from the Roon Remote it is updating Roon’s server with your external IP address and the ARC App is using Roon to get the IP address of your core.

This is just a guess. I get that you mentioned you reset ARC before leaving for a trip and it failed about 24 hours later on a couple occasions. But if you have any logs in your router or cable modem that might show when external addresses are changing, there may be a correlation? Or to see if there has been any downtime with your external IP connection.

Does the PC hosting your Roon Core have a dedicated IP address? If not try setting one (or create a reservation in your DHCP). If the Core’s IP address changes, that could cause a problem with NAT from your Core to the ARC app.

Having said that, there has been a couple occasions where ARC was not working when I know my cable modem IP address hadn’t changed. These have always been short lived and cleared up by restarting the app or on its own in less than an hour.

I am using ARC on my iPhone 11Pro and iPad 9.7. My Roon Core is on a Synology DS1821+ with external eSATA SSD. My NAS has a dedicated internal IP address and I have port forwarding set up on my Router for the port number I’ve chosen in ARC.

Donald, no that is not possible, I have a business account at home with a fixed IP address. (In Australia by the way)

Yes my ARC failed after 24 hours, and did NOT work until I got home a week later and restarted ROON.

Yes my PC running ROON CORE is on a fixed IP too.

1 Like

I am very sorry I made the assumption that you would threaten to cancel your subscription.

I hope you get ARC running some day. I find it very enjoyable, and it works quite flawlessly for me. Finding the cause of your problem will be difficult though. Good luck.

1 Like

This is also my thinking.
I am using Plex for external music access without problems. But I also tried emby, and I was facing a lot of issues. However, emby has the possibility to configure it with my own DDNS address, and with this it was working fine.

Right now ARC is working sometimes, sometimes not. I have the feeling, it helps to start ARC on the mobile at home prior to leaving the house.
So I was wondering, if it could be also a way for Roon to offer this way for the users who have already a own DDNS. This could prevent all issues related to changes of external IP address.
Just a thought …

Bernhard

Works fine for me, but I’m using an “advanced” network setup. I have Roon Server running on a downsized Windows machine in the local network and behind a Unify Dream Machine. I don’t need to do any port forwarding - simply connect from the phone by VPN connection to my home network. I only see hangs in Roon ARC if the phone switches between Wifi and mobile network and drops the VPN connection.

I was having same issues with my Roon Core on an I9 Computer. Roon ARC worked great for a short period of time after a core reset, then can’t connect or poor connection. I have a newer Verizon FIOS router that added the correct port forwarding automatically, then it would disappear after a seemingly random period of time. Roon core said everything was ready to go, but no bueno. To fix, I made a port forwarding rule manually. I reset the roon core and copied the setting for the port forwarding in my router which pointed to my Core. I manually added the same rule which seems to be permanent and does not delete itself anymore. Roon ARC has been working flawlessly for the past 3 days. Seemed to be a router problem all along, even though Roon Core said everything was set up properly.
Home this helps.

1 Like

Roon Arc has yet to work well for me even with offline downloads.

Took for ages to get my Fiio M11 to connect via ARC works fine on my iPhone no issues at all. Then on the M11 started to get the poor connection message all the time, iphone continued to work just fine so I though this must be something in Android that’s causing this something it doesn’t like that ARCs doing.

I reset the app then it would not reconnect it woudl pop up then not disconnect, connect disconnect , all this time iPhone would work perfectly. Uninstalled it reinstalled it. Everything else on M11 worked fine and had been streaming via ist Roon Ready input all day. Tried again later and it connected and worked so I have a feeling this is more related to their server infrastructure than local issues.

1 Like

How does this help him at all?

1 Like

So you don’t think that reading through the forums for similar experiences and possible solutions/ options is a good idea?
Interesting…:thinking:

1 Like

Let’s assume that’s obvious, no?

I sense a Roon Moderator stepping in and…well, moderating

I got ARC to work but on road trips the internet seemed to vary too much to make it work consistently. I don’t have time to troubleshoot while driving and each stop and rural area introduces more uncertainty.

In the end I just stopped using it and go straight to Qobuz app on iphone. There is enough music on Qobuz to meet my driving needs. I enjoy my massive library at home w/Roon.

I may try some downloaded files with ARC as a middle ground but I find my roadtrip interests are spur of the moment. The download w/Qobuz is needed for plane and remote area travel so ARC w/downloads is worth trying.

I will give it a go again sometime. conceptually it’s a feature of interest.

As SandsOfArrakis already mentions in a later post, people using Ziggo as ISP and with a similar setup should make sure they have their modem set to Bridge Mode. I couldn’t figure out how to do this, until I found the solution provided by Ziggo online. See their clear manual here: Bridge-modus aanzetten | Ziggo | Klantenservice

You could also consider switching to another mobile provider with better network coverage.

1 Like

for me the main thing was to ensure that the streaming-quality settings are set properly for cellular.

Early on I had a few blips when it was set too high, but when I lowered the quality (still sounds plenty great in the car), i had no problem.

1 Like

I’ve disabled UPnP and tried your solution of adding the port forwarding rule manually, as I’ve been having the same exact problem as you and OP.

When I had UPnP enabled, Roon would automatically create another port forwarding rule in the router, even after I deleted theirs from the system, in an attempt to only have my manual rule. So now, with UPnP disabled, only my manual port forwarding rule is in the router. I’m curious to see if this helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had enough already with roon arc, since day one it has been very unstable for me, any other day I have to reset roon arc app and after that it start working the way it’s supposed to also I have had to restart my synology 920 where I have roon core installed in other to keep it going. Every roon arc update is the same, nothing changes. I’ve been searching and reading a lot on the web and I came to realize that people with a large library like myself have this issue. I switched back to Plex using Plexamp on ios because it always work flawlessly. For now, I’m just gonna wait on many more updates to see if they can fix this issue because I want to use Roon, I love the UI and everything on this software but I’m tired of rebooting and resetting.

3 Likes

Roon with a large library needs a good CPU and plenty of RAM, something not all NAS devices have looking at the specs of this machine it looks to be under Roons minimum spec which I would guess is struggling with the extra duties ARC brings. Plex server demands are not as high as Roons overall so it might run better.

I agree maybe that’s my problem running roon server on a synology but again there are hundreds of posts with the same issue I wonder if all of them are running roon server on a minimum specs machine or Nas. Maybe the next thing I’m gonna try is setting roon server on a new Mac mini but at the moment is a little pricey for a test.