Manually specifying a WAN IP address for ARC - Ubuntu 22.04 VM / 2 x Load Balanced and redundant 4G connection / VPN tunnels with Wireguard

Roon Core Machine

Ubuntu 22.04 VM 1 CPU, 2 Cores assigned 4GB RAM.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Use a combination of 2 x Load Balanced and redundant 4G connection with CG-NAT each with a different external IP address. I have a setup to an externally hosted VPS Server with a dedicated IPv4 Public Address. A device on my network VPN tunnels with Wireguard to the VPS and the VPS’s external IP address is NAT into my network. Many port forwards and external services use this system via NGINX reverse proxy.

This solution is an effective workaround to CG-NAT.

Connected Audio Devices

Combo of PC’s and Ropieee

Number of Tracks in Library

Irrelevant

Description of Issue

Roon Core tests for the external IP with is the 4G modem’s IP Address, whichever is online at the time. I would like to override this IP address to the actual fixed public IPv4 Address, not the address that the Roon Core assumes the address to be.

In the copy below “actual_external_ip”:“49.181.C.D” is the router IP address and not the external VPS fixed IP gateway public address.

How do I override the external IP address?

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“49.181.C.D”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

There are several posts about this. Hopefully they read, respond, and remedy.

Hi @PatMaddox interesting. I have been able to find a few posts about CG-NAT but that is not my issue. I need to override the automatically detected external IP Address in Roon Server, to that of my VPS, either by IP Address or external hostname.

Can you point me to some threads so that I can track them?

You described the issue much better than I did in my support post so I’m following. T-mobile Home Internet has CG-NAT and doesn’t allow bridge mode so I have the same VPS setup as you. Works well when you can specify VPS IP address.

@support @norris why was the title of my post changed? It is not a ARC Timeout Error. You have completely missed the point of my post.

Roon assumes the incorrect WAN Address. Therefore, the Roon Server tells the ARC Client and your systems to look for the incorrect WAN IP address.

The user in a port forward environment should be able to specify the WAN IP (or Domain Name) and not have some incorrect assumptions made by software.

The timeout is an obvious result of the WAN IP being incorrect.

Please put it back or name it so that the intent is clear.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.