Roon Core Machine

Innuos Zen MK3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

iBasso DX320

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hi guys,

Installing Roon ARC on iBasso DX320 works without a problem, however I cannot play any music. Doesn’t matter what sampling rate, if streaming, local on Roon core or even downloaded to the ARC app. It keeps throwing “unexpected playback error”.

Do you have any ideas?

Kind regards
Marc

2 Likes

I have the same problem with ibasso dx 300

Have the same issue with Ibasso dx320 where it seemed to work beginning of the week. Used my iphone as hotspot; the iphone can play Roon Arc, Ibasso not (unexpected failure)

got it working by resetting Roon Arc in settings. Seems to do fine now…

Sorry, came back again…unexected playback error

I have the same (DX320) experience. Just downloaded some flac files onto DX320 and receive unexpected playback error when I try and play.

Strange thing is, that this worked for me last week but now seems to be giving this error. Nothing particularly changed that I am aware of though.

also for me no change so far. It wont play any track on my iBasso DX320.

So far I am really liking the new functionality offered by ARC. Once you guys get CarPlay working i can finally ditch PLEX: However, I have an issue on my IBasso DX300 DAP. It does not seem to like any file that is originally in 96 Khz 24 bits format. When I try to play such a file it either crashes or just refuses to play giving an “Unexpected Playback Error” in the Roon ARC app. Tried restarting the device and reinstalling ARC, nothing helped, Anyone else noticed similar issues on this player, or Android based devices in general?

1 Like

Hi @Koen_De_Crock,

Thank you for the report. We’ll certainly take a look into the issue you’re experiencing.

At your convenience, would you mind clarifying the following:

1. Does the issue with 96 Khz 24 bits format files also manifest if you play back downloaded files offline? For instance, if you have local files on your Core of this filetype, try downloading them in ARC and playing them back in Airplane mode or otherwise offline.

2. What’s your connectivity state when you encounter this error? Are you on mobile/cellular, home Wi-Fi, or traveling with unpredictable connectivity? Any context is helpful.

3. Would you send a screenshot of your preferred format/transcoding settings? This will be in the Settings tab in ARC.

We’ll be watching for your response!

Hi, it also happens on downloaded files. I am on wifi (IBasso DX300 is an android based DAP, and does not have cellular, only WiFi)

Playback settings on the DAP are Automatically Pick Best Quality. Changing this to CD Quality seems to solve the issue, but i do not want this.

PS The app is also quite unstable on this device. It is slow and crashes quite often.

1 Like

Hi, how did you install arc on your ibasso 300.
I have the basso dx 320 and downloaded arc.
But I get the message that the app can not be installed on this device. Do you have a tip ?

Unfortunately not. I just went through the play store and could install without any issue on the dx300

I’m also experiencing this. Happy to help however I can.

1 Like

I am also experiencing this issue on my ibasso dx240. Initially getting “Unexpected playback error”, after that Arc just crashes when I try to play a track….both on downloaded tracks and direct. Local files and Qobuz. I think it has something to do with the iBassos reporting Android output as 192 and the upsampling done by Arc but am not sure about this…! I hadn’t noticed it was just 96/24 tracks, will check whether this is the case with me too…

Any chance of mods combining this post:

I am also experiencing the same issue: “unexpected playback error” when trying to play 96/24 files.
I am only streaming files from QOBUZ, and other formats (incl. 192/24) work very well - amazind sound btw!!!
I am using an iBasso DX240 as well…
Happy to provide more info.
Thanks

1 Like

In order for Roon Arc to work successfully on devices doesn’t it have to be Roon Ready and Roon Tested and have the Roon streaming technology built in? Has Ibasso gone through this process because I don’t think downloading Arc from the Play Store offer any guarantees that’s it’s going to work without some issues.

Hi, why would this be the case? The idea of Roon ARC is that you can use Roon on the go now, on Smartphones, DAPs, etc… I do not think that Roon has specific smartphones or DAPs listed as Roon tested. Roon ready is a different story, but that has nothing to do with ARC. Roon ready allows you to use your DAP connected to the same network as your core as an audio source, without having to install the Roon app. My A&K SP2000 is for example Roon Ready.

In any case, was hoping that Roon support would have an update here. Alternatively, please let me know which extra info you need to analyse this. I think it has something to do with how the IBasso DAPs upsample audio to 192 kHZ standard.

I have this exact same issue on my Sony ZX507 and A105. It only seems to be 96 kHz tracks that generate the error. Note that I have high resolution streaming on in the Sony settings which is 24/192.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience. The team is investigating the playback error generated by certain format files with the iBasso DX series.

@Koen_De_Crock, we’ve pulled backend diagnostics from your account to pinpoint the error in logs. We’ll provide an update here as soon as possible, as well as any workarounds for reintroducing stable playback if we require a more involved fix.

The initial pass suggests it’s due to the bit-perfect implementations on the Android DAP as expected; it’s not playing nicely with ARC’s playback engine. We’ve escalated to QA to clarify and resolve the situation.

@ALVIN_FERGUSON please note that the above statement is accurate; at this time, ARC supports playback to any endpoint acceptable to the phone’s system output. ARC uses RAAT just like Roon; the difference is that it doesn’t have Zone capability, with the granular control, per-Zone DSP customization, and simultaneous playback offered therein. You can read more here: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/arc#Does_ARC_Support_USB_DACs