ARC Unexpected Playback Error with Certain Android DAPs [Generally Fixed]

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the back-to-back posts, but I have an update from development.

We’ve confirmed that certain file formats are causing a playback error when upsampling for playback to an Android DAP. Upsampling from 96k to 192k in particular will generate this error with the iBasso DX series from the initial investigation.

Since the issue is in fact with upsampling in ARC, it’s likely to manifest widely among DAPs when playback settings are such that significant upsampling will be required.

That said, we’re correcting upsampling cases one by one that trigger this, and it shouldn’t take long at all before the fixes are rolled out in bulk. I don’t have an exact timeline but anticipate a short turnaround (within a few releases at most) after liaising internally on this issue.

Thank you again for your reports and for your patience.

1 Like

Hi Conor,

Thanks for your effort to support us here.
If I understand your reply correctly, the problem with the iBasso should only happen when upsampling is enabled?
That is not the case for me - I have no upsampling enabled at all. Still ARC fails to play any title, at any sampling rate on the iBasso DX320.

Cheers
Marc

1 Like

Hi @skoell,

That’s not surprising, unfortunately. We do have a list of upsampling cases that choke up ARC on Android, but fixing those is part of a broader project to fully integrate ARC with custom bit-perfect Android DAP implementations like those of the iBasso’s DX series.

This has always been a roadmap item; now it’s an actual ticket in production. We should have a fix for this out within the next few builds of Roon/ARC, but we will continue to investigate workarounds in the meantime.

1 Like

I’m experiencing this issue too and very ofter. Almost every time I star ARC. Enjoying

This happens to me also (Android playback error), and I’m not using any external DAC. In my Samsung Galaxy Note 8, I have to set Cellular (and Wifi) to CD Quality, otherwise when a track ends, I get a spinning circle and, moments later, an Android Playback Error. This only happens with streamed Tidal ou Qobuz music. When playing downloaded or streamed local files, everything works ok, even in lossy formats (Balanced or Balanced Optimized).

Hi everyone,

Having released some improvements in ARC for Android - including Android Autio compatibility, bit-perfect playback/upsampling fixes with certain DAPs, and overall UI fixes - we wanted to reach back out to ask about performance in this thread.

Please reach out if you’re having any device-specific issues or overall performance problems, and we’ll address them here or split into new #support threads as necessary.

Hi Connor,

I just tried it and it works! Thanks for the support!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.