ARC worked fine for a few days then stopped until performing "Roon ARC" in Settings

After some days of use, the Roon ARC in my iPhone stopped working this morning (cannot connect to my Roon core). To enable Roon ARC to connect to my Roon core again, I went to the the Settings menu of my Roon core, click on “Roon ARC”, a few seconds later the status showed “Ready”. After that point, the Roon ARC in my iPhone was able to connect to my Roon Core.

The last time I performed “Roon ARC” function in the Settings menu was about 7 days ago. I wonder why I need to perform “Roon ARC” function again to enable the connection ? Any thoughts ?

Hey @Gerald_Hsu,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

I wanted to check in on this thread to see if you were still running into connection issues between Arc and your core? If so, please start by filling out the below info on your system setup:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini late 2014, 2.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8GB memory, 500GB flash storage

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Home mesh wifi: Netgear Orbi SRR60 router + 2 satellites (i.e. SRS60)
ATT&T internet gateway: ARRIS BGW210-700 (ATT Internet 100 plan)
Roon core (i.e. Mac mini) connects directly via the Ethernet to a Netgear Orbi wifi satellite (i.e. SRS60)

Connected Audio Devices

Roon core → Chromecast → Spdif → DAC → main amplifier
Roon core → Yamaha WXC-50 streamer (via Apple Airplay) → main amplifier
Roon core → Apple TV 3rd gen (AIrPlay) → home theater system

Number of Tracks in Library

47,070 tracks

Description of Issue

When I’m away from home I have been using ARC with my iPhone to listen to my music library at least once a day consistently in the last 3 weeks. My typical ARC listening session each day lasts about one and half hour. ARC works fine almost all the time except there were two occurrences where my iPhone could not connect to my Roon core. Both times when that happened, I was able to connect to my Tidal and play tracks so the mobile network (i.e. T-mobile) was running normal. Both times when the connection problem occurred, after I got home I went to Settings menu and click “Roon ARC” (the status then showed “Ready” once again), after that point the connect problem is resolved. Other than performing “Roon ARC” under Settings, there were no changes done to Roon core, wifi networks, AT&T internet nor my mobile phone.

Hey @Gerald_Hsu,

Thanks for the info here! Because this occurrence doesn’t happen frequently, I’d be curious to see if it may have to do with the sleep settings on your Mac mini core. If your mac goes to sleep, it may be cutting the option to connect to it.

Are you able to take a look at your screen/sleep settings and report back?

Thanks!

FYI - Both times when there were connection issues with ARC, the Roon core was running (streaming a Roon radio station to an endpoint at home). The Mac mini was not asleep. The connection issue could not be resolved UNTIL after I performed “Roon ARC” under Settings.

Hey @Gerald_Hsu,

Thanks for the information! As a next step, we’ll need you to reproduce this issue and take note of the date and time. From there, share that information here and we can enable diagnostics on your account to take a closer look at what might be going on at the time of the issue :+1:

The ARC connection problem reemerged yesterday (Oct 26) around 10:40PM Pacific Time. Before that, I was able to connect to my Roon core (via iPhone/T-Mobile) and had about 3 short ARC listening sessions between 6:30PM to 8:30PM (Pacific Time). When I tried to connect to ARC again that evening around 10:40PM, I got the ARC connection failure message on my phone. At that time, the Mac mini was not asleep and the Roon core was streaming a Roon radio station to an endpoint. At 10:47PM. I performed “Roon ARC” under Settings and the connection problem went away. After that the ARC has been working since then to now (9:25AM Pacific, Oct 27). Performing “Roon ARC” at 10:47PM Pacific, Oct 26 was the only thing that I did to fix the ARC connection issue.

Hey @Gerald_Hsu,

Thank you for the info and timestamps! While we take a closer look, please update to the newest Roon and Roon Arc builds, and let me know if your issue persists :+1:

I updated the Roon core and Roon ARC app to the latest release. Still the connection problem occurred once again this morning (Oct 31) around 10:30 AM Pacific Time. The connection problem went away after I performed “Roon ARC” under Settings at 10:40AM Pacific.

My iPhone (via T-Mobile) ran into another “Core unreachable” problem this afternoon (Nov. 2 around 2PM Pacific). The connection problem went away after I performed “Roon ARC” function under Setting at 2:30PM Pacific (Nov. 2).

Hey @Gerald_Hsu,

Thank you for letting me know.

Can you explain a bit more what you’re doing here that helps fix the connection issue? Are you clicking the refresh arrow in your Arc settings?

Also, can you please take a look at your settings within Arc, and let me know how many GB’s you have left on your internal storage?

As a next step, if you could please follow the steps below to upload iOS logs:

1. First toggle “Save logs to Files on next startup” from your iOS Settings for the Roon App.
  2. Reproduce the issue.
  3. Access your Files App on the phone and upload the log file.
  4. Send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thank you!

Thanks for the follow-up

Can you explain a bit more what you’re doing here that helps fix the connection issue? Are you clicking the refresh arrow in your Arc settings?

I just click “Roon ARC” on the Settings page without clicking the Refresh. I notice there is a Refresh button on “Roon ARC” page once the ARC status shows “Ready”, but I never have to click refresh. The connection problem goes away by just clicking “Roon ARC” on the Settings page.

Also, can you please take a look at your settings within Arc, and let me know how many GB’s you have left on your internal storage?

If you’re asking how much memory left on my iOS/iPhone, the answer is > 34GB.

I’ve turned on the logs to files for Roon app on my iPhone. I will upload the logs once it is available,

Hey @Gerald_Hsu,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like there might be some hiccups happening between your core connecting with the network and servers. If possible, I would suggest giving your network a hard reset, and make sure to update your core and arc to the latest builds :+1:

A post was split to a new topic: Thoughts on Arc

A post was split to a new topic: Arc Cannot Connect Outside Of Wifi - Virgin Media Router

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.