Are headphones a substitute for speakers?

Another hot take, I realize! In another post:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/showing-off-your-roon-setup-description-and-photos/173220/3626?u=kelly_burkhart

Headphones are great when you are under constraint (spouse, neighbors, etc.). But in my opinion the sensation of listening to music via speakers is completely different and better! I have some good cans (hifiman he1000) but the impact to me of headphones is nothing like listening via speakers!

Agree, disagree?

6 Likes

Agree, I’ve an expensive pair of electrostatic headphones, 5 years old, been used for around 8 hours as I’m fortunate enough to be able to listen on speakers, my preference, anytime…

3 Likes

I agree.
I listen to music at work all day with a pair of Meze LIRIC headphones and a Modius/Lokius/Magnius balanced stack, and while it suffices for the environment, I can’t wait to get home and listen to the same songs on the main system with floor standing loudspeakers.

3 Likes

Agreed but it never occurred to me that anyone would think otherwise. If you listen to eg rock music, headphones cannot possibly replicate the physical sensations of bass frequencies at a decent SPL.

4 Likes

The benefits of good cans is you remove the effects of the room that could otherwise affect the SQ. A treated room helps.

I like to share my music, so do love pumping it out, but others in my house suffer from Generic Pop syndrome and don’t have a wide taste.

Cans give me my personal space and freedom to move around without losing the sweet-spot.

However, my cans (Typical I think of HiFiMan) have a very snug fit and can become warm and tiring to wear.

I like it both ways :rofl:

11 Likes

Can’t agree. Much prefer listening via headphones these days. I find it just gives more of everything and I get more into the music. Biggest bonus no room to contend with which is colouring everything and as I use a Roon Ready DAP I can go sit anywhere in the house and get the same amazing sound. Try that with a pair of speakers.

10 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::grinning::grinning:
Now I know what to call it, thank you so much.

7 Likes

Is that a challenge? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

If you want it to be, but you’re not going to get the same sound in different positions in any room and no way is the Hifi going to sound as good in the kitchen. With headphones and a Roon Ready DAP it does.

1 Like

It was meant to be a humourous remark but never mind.

5 Likes

Hello @Kelly_Burkhart

Would it be better for this thread to be called “Are headphones a substitute for speakers?”

2 Likes

It goes both ways. Speakers offer something headphones don’t, and headphones offer something speaker’s don’t. Which I prefer depends on the circumstances and my mood. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Depends on the speakers and the room and the ambient noise level. Sometimes headphones are really the way to go.

4 Likes

What can I say except that planar magnetic headphones, like the HiFiman HE 1000, never seem to have any impact. Try using dynamic driver headphones like the Focal Clear MG if you want some impact. Part joke and part truth.

I also have a very nice set of electrostatic headphones, the Sonoma Model One, and they are the best sounding headphones I own (and I own lots of different headphones). However, electrostatic headphones are like speakers since one is limited to one listening position due to the dedicated amp and cable. Sweet spot indeed!

I second that Thank You!

2 Likes

Now I need to know what non-generic pop is…

2 Likes

Anything that isn’t generic pop obvs. :blush:

4 Likes

I prefer headphones. I like the sound experience more, I like the fact that I can tailor my listening through my choice of headphone at any given time, and I like the fact that I can isolate myself while listening to music. Also contributing to my preference is the fact that I have some hearing damage, and music through speakers seems to be far less pleasant than it once was, while I don’t notice the difference as much with headphones. I’m not a bass head, so the obvious bass advantage of speakers doesn’t matter much to me. It’s also easy to tinker with headphone equalization with Roon. And, finally, I live in a condominium apartment, so I don’t have to worry about annoying neighbours when using headphones.

3 Likes

It looks like someone did change the title… That’s OK. My initial title was intended to be a controversial “hot” take on a topic of no great import. And it was somewhat funny to me. I realize on a forum like this there are not facial or other clues from which to discern motivation or intent. Not trying to flame, just kicking off a conversation.

Also, many things I think are funny, for some weird reason, other people don’t think are funny… :wink:

5 Likes

Interesting… I’ve enjoyed the PM headphones because of their fidelity and detail, but to be honest, I have not tried a significant number of different headphones, and zero high quality dynamics. It’s difficult for me though to imagine any headphones having the same “impact” or 3D soundstage as speakers driven at sufficient volume (not necessarily super loud, just sufficient for the room). I could be wrong… perhaps I need to explore this…

If I’m listening at “wife sleeping in the adjacent room” levels, headphones are better. Also… if listening in a “bad room”, too resonant or too dead, the satisfaction is greatly diminished. In that sense, headphones are better as they have fewer constraints to do what they do.

But eliminate the constraints and I’ll take speakers every time!

I would argue that using quality headphones with the Smyth Realiser A16 can give the best of both worlds. However, the downsides are the same as electrostatic headphones in terms of both cost and the need to stay close to your equipment. But the results can be superlative - at least for classical, jazz and other acoustic music.

Convincing simulations of multiple rooms and speakers are easily achievable (currently listening to 14 D&D speakers in surround mode). However, one has to accept that you will never achieve the physical impact or “gut punch” effect of a bass drum or rock band rhythm section without big speakers.