Are metadata lost when reinstalling Roon? Backups? [answered]

I’m referring to choices of favorite/hated songs Playlists and hIstory. If you want to reinstall on a new computer, are ny choices lost?
Is there anyway to backup the library within Roon?

I’m referring to choices of favorite/hated songs Playlists and hIstory. If you want to reinstall on a new computer, are ny choices lost?

We are working on a could syncing mechanism to hold and back up the data you mention, but it’s not quite ready yet.

Is there anyway to backup the library within Roon?

Make a backup of your ~/Library/Roon folder (on mac) or your %APPDATA%/Local/Roon folder on Windows.

If you want to move your library to another machine, contact support so we can help you do it right.

I just wanted to give this thread a bump as I really believe a backup solution is important.

As of right now I just signed up for lifetime today and as I start fixing my data and marking favorites and creating playlists I would want this easily moveable and easily backed up.

For now I’ll Crashplan the Roon folder I guess.

I want to move Roon to new hardware and keep my playlists, favorits, play history, etc. How do I do that?

These instructions cover moving to a different platform, but they’re equally applicable if you’re staying on the same operating system.

Give them a read over and let me know if you have any questions @Jeffrey_Feuer!

Mike, The instructions are straight forward and pertain to replacing the computer that Roon runs on. That will be handy as I will soon migrate onto a new computer.

Before I do that I plan to migrate to a new NAS drive (keeping the same computer for a while). To do that it appears all that is necessary is:

(1) Copy the music files from my current NAS drive to the new one
(2) Set Roon to monitor the new NAS drive folder containing the music files
(3) Set Roon to stop monitoring the old NAS drive folder

If I do these steps will I preserve my play lists and listening history?

Hey @Jeffrey_Feuer – you’re close but you actually want to do step 3, then Step 2. This process is detailed here.

The reason for this is that Roon tracks files by fingerprinting the audio – this allows us to track your files if the tags change, or even if the file name has changed.

The only thing to be careful of is that you can still have multiple copies of a file in your library – this can sometimes be intentional (or accidental) but the important thing is that Roon will track everything you add, so if you add a file that already exists, we will assume you intend to have two copies in your database. When you remove the watched folder first, the files are simply missing, and then the associations are restored once you add the new storage device.

It is a little scary doing step 3 before step 2, so feel free to backup your database before changing your configuration. The important thing is that following your instructions you’d end up with two of every file immediately after step 2 is completed. This should still work, but it adds unnecessary risk to the process.

Follow the instructions I linked above, and you should be all set here. Thanks!

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-do-i-move-my-collection-to-a-new-folder-hard-drive-or-nas-will-i-lose-my-edits/4635

Thank you for the prompt and clear reply. I appreciate it! Happy holidays to you.