Art Director: logos are not good for avatars

@danny I will clarify my own experience:

all the artists where I clicked on ‘improve this photo’ where accidently all single artists. So with every click Art Director told me to NOT upload logos (side note: there were many electronic artist which do have logos as single artist and not as a band - where also the logo might be much more representing than the actual picture)

This gave me the impression that logos were not recommended.
The reject option: ‘This is not a artist picture’ also drives me in the same direction. Because a logo is per definition not a picture of the artist…

Hence I also was rejecting logos… because I (wrongly) assumed this was not recommended.

I agree however that logos can have their use and place, but I still think an avatar and a logo are 2 totally different representations of an artists. I prefer pictures above logos, but if no picture is present, a logo would do fine… but others might prefer it the other way around. I still feel that there should be 3 kinds of images: picture avatars / logo avatars / banners.
For avatars, I would like to see a user option to either prefer logo or artist picture, and when the preferred option does not exist, but the other option does exist, it’s shown this way.
(a toggle switch between logo / picture would be awesome)

This will also lead to a more generalised way of voting…

just my 2 cents

5 Likes