Art imitating life

We had a record store, actually a head shop, that got their albums over night. On a Sunday morning I got up and waited for the store to open.

They had the long awaited Catch Bull at Four (Cat Stevens).

I had a girl pick me up by asking me “have you heard Aqualung?” She brought the album to my place.

I had music in the house, music lessons for all kids, went to their concerts, helped them practice. Today they listen to podcasts.

Thank you. That would be ~1997+ since Peanut (now a photographer paytonadams.com) with the pacifier is so young there. That is my final Harley for Grayson who would have been in his crib when this was taken. Pea was an incredible musician…piano, guitar but best on the flute. Then one day…it was over…I had bought her a Canon DSLR.

There are a lot more guitars and amps than that which is shown. I keep promising myself to liquidate. The kids used to specify which each wanted. Pea went through the house and put stickers beneath furniture etc with her name on each piece…claiming it to be hers upon my death. I keep coming across the stickers. She has always been a very impish child.

She would sit next to me on her computer (singing softly…Lynyrd Skynyrd).

I gave Gray(son) my $3500 Paradigm speakers. He likes “music” (chiefly ballads of today) and plays guitar. The speakers, I assume are used for the audio part of x-box (oy).

Some lovely photo’s on your daughter’s site.

She would be pleased to hear that. She began selling before college. She now does photography for a company. Few of us get paid for our hobbies.

Clearly she loves horses.

She and her two sisters graduated from UGA. She did not major in photographic design. Her sisters completed graduate school. Pea left graduate school due to job opportunities as did her brother. If you know/knew who Aubry Plaza is…that is like talking to Pea…monotone, blank face, irreverent emotions…cute as a button and hilarious. Most children learn simple engaging two word expressions at the end of 18 months. She did not. Her expression was three words: “No, I not.” This is her voice at age three https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLmlEsO2UaA

1 Like

I had forgotten that “House” not only had a SOTA turntable in his hospital based office, but in the real world, he is a pianist as well.

Then there was that episode where a guitar was stolen and held for emotional ransom.

Love the Criterion Channel, and am now enjoying the Columbia noir stuff. Some fancy radios in there!

Check out “All Night Long”.

I’ll put it on my List.

Tonight, watching “Stalker” by the same Russian director who did the original “Solaris”

Edit: My OCD compels me to correct myself by offering that the original “Solaris” was a Russian TV movie in 1968.

1 Like

Fun Easter egg.
Bosch lives in that very expensive Hollywood home. His daughter comes to live with him. She inquires about his home, his stereo and a poster on his wall.

The poster has the words BLACK ECHO. Bosch explains he bought the home with funds paid to him for a book about his role as a detective. That book/movie was written by Michael Connelly.

Thus…the character Bosch (fiction) is wealthy because Michael Connelly’s first book (fiction) paid money to Bosch. Very clever.

1 Like

Yeah, a literary conceit that I once stumbled across in the The Arabian Nights and thought the same.
I can’t remember the exact story that uses self-reference like that.
I wish I could point you to it as it’s a clever, funny read.

Here are some Wikipedia links to get lost in this afternoon -

The initial Connelly book/movie which funded Bosch’s home was in 2003-2004. The Bosch in that novel apparently had PTSD from being in the tunnels in-country. The current Bosch did tours in the middle East. They had to make it contemporary.

The original Bosch would have seen his vintage equipment as being of his time whereas the current Bosch would see it as something his father may have had.

When his daughter looks at his LPs, they are in heavy plastic sleeves, not part of albums he has had since his youth.

Morning Dr. A.

To tie up a loose end - the Miles Davis documentary is on NetFlix, not Amazon Prime.
There’s also a Coltrane doc, called ‘Chasing Trane’.

1 Like

Very much appreciated. My wife and I really enjoy music(ian) documentaries. Again, my many thanks.

There are many great music documentaries. “Festival Express” has some great footage of Janis Joplin. “Standing in the Shadows of Motown” for the Motown house bands. “The Last Waltz”, with an insanely great line-up of guest performers. The list goes on and on. But my all-time favorite is “Jazz On A Summer’s Day”, for the Anita O’Day performance of “Sweet Georgia Brown”, the hit of the concert, on what she later said was the best day of her life.

I saw Joplin back in the day and a friend’s friend spent the night with her. She was very tragic person, and never fully appreciated for her gift. The Last Waltz (I have long owned it) is problematic in that Robbie Roberston was given more credit than Levon Helms who was multi-talented, but that said, thank you for the jazz recommendations.

And a nation class rower, Cambridge Blue in 1980

@7NoteScale, @Bill_Janssen -

Stumbled across 2 docs on Amazon Prime streaming…

‘Sun Ra - a Joyful Noise’, probably only for the staunchest of Sun Ra fans.

‘Rumble: Indians Who Rocked the World’ which, in spite of using the disrespectful I-word for Native Americans, was a most enlightening discovery.

2 Likes