Article about Tidal politicking and the odds of survival

You need to consider everybody else though… streaming WILL replace owning and it will happen soon, so Roon needs to be ready

Just like ebooks have replaced books, I suppose? There’s a place for both for many years to come, I think.

I agree that Roon should work with partners to provide options to users; but, to suggest that streaming will replace owning “soon” is not realistic. It will take nearly a whole generational cycle before that becomes true, if at all. And really, all it would take to kill/hobble streaming is a meltdown in one of the major providers to demonstrate to users that owning music offers its own benefits.

Note sure that’s a general trend.

According to the New York Times streaming revenue passed CD revenue in 2014, and downloads declined.
Streaming revenue more than doubled in 2015 over 2014.
Universal Music: Gains from streaming and Subscription services more than offset declines in physical product and digital downloads..
Warner earned more revenue from streaming music services than from digital downloads in 2014, making it “abundantly clear” that in the future, “streaming will be the way that most people enjoy music.”
Apple too has seen a stark decline in digital revenue in recent years, with sales dropping 5.7 percent in 2013 and further declining 13 percent worldwide in 2014.
And they bought the Beats streaming service for $3 billion.

Kanye West: the CD’s days are numbered.

My son is about the only one of his friends who has physical media. And he’s in a band and his friends into music.

There is already a generation out there for whom streaming is the norm.

SJB

With Tidal integration music discovery goes to another level. Example: Whoa, I didn’t know my favorite artist contributed to that album that is on Tidal and not in my collection.

1 Like

MFSL releases being available for streaming would be spectacular. Half of Steve Hoffman Forums users would sign up for that service.

1 Like

I remember when people said the wax cylinder’s days were numbered…

1 Like

That is good to hear @danny .

How about Deezer Elite outside the US :slight_smile:
I’d kind of given up on Qobuz, but it would be good if it could be integrated.

I also think some of the other services will start streaming lossless quite soon, maybe even this year.

Roon Labs was amazingly insightful in how they designed Roon… whether you are a music collector, a streaming advocate or just a music lover, Roon presents a common interface to all music. I have found myself looking hard to see if what I’m listening to is from Tidal or my own collection. But what I’m realizing after just a few months is that - I don’t care! It’s all about the music and as long as it sounds good, I’m happy.

My hope is that they can leverage that type of integration as they expand to include internet radio and other streaming services. That seamless interface separates them from all the competition.

7 Likes