Article on DAR about Roon 1.3

As Rene’s post indicates, the features set out in the article are not exhaustive and omit a number of less sensational but long-announced items such as further substantial changes to metadata editing.

The Parametric EQ, convolving and other DSP features present an increased workload to a CPU which scales with the number of Queues that implement DSP. Devices within the minimum reccomended spec should be fine for normal households but running 10 Remotes with different Queues while convolving and equalising is likely to need something towards the beefier end. None should expect that RoonServer running on a NAS will be able to to do heavy lifting DSP.

I had understood that the RCK was only for i3 and i5 NUCs, but the article does refer to “server of choice”. Perhaps @danny could clarify.

No remote local download and playback with 1.3 sorry @DrTone, but a robust remote solution is a definite landmark on the Roon roadmap.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but when is 1.3 supposed to be released ?

Hopefully before the end of January, but when it’s ready is the most accurate answer.

Thanks for sharing!!! Very exciting.:slight_smile:

That’s really bad news for the linux users experiencing this issue… @mike

So we have to wait another month for a bugfix?
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tidal-wont-login-after-latest-roon-update/16171/81?u=stevev1

1 Like

Hi love the sound of the new release I am hoping @crieke will follow suit by enabling 1.3 within his own QPKG for QNAP NAS - would be devastated to lose this functionality I get from 24/7 roon via my QNAP T S-471 which works awesomely…!

I get the extra processing demands will place further overhead on the server but I feel that like with HQPLayer it should be perfectly possible to limit the options chosen to suit your system i.e. don’t go trying to upsample from 44.1 to quad rate DSD on a low end setup!

Any insight from Mr Crieke most welcome :o)

UPDATE: [New QNAP QPKG for Roon release 1.3?]
(New QNAP QPKG for Roon release 1.3?)

Does anyone has information about the new dsd upsampling feature? Does it has anything to do with HQ Player?

You have to wait for v1.3 to be released. No time frame has been published yet, though circa a month seems likely.

Mike’s already explained why the fix is not being delivered for v1.2.

In short, the effort / timescale / risk in implementing for 1.2 is greater than completing v1.3. If it were a simple low risk patch it would have been done already.

I know you don’t want to hear that but that’s the hard truth of the matter. Sorry.

1 Like

Good features. I just hope they focus a bit on the user experience and make it easier to play, manage, and edit my music library. I know it’s easy to focus on the gee whiz new features but Roon has lots of room for improvement in terms of basic functionality, especially conpared to less expensive offerings like JRiver.

One comment in this article I found humourous was the reference to not needing HQPlayer anymore to convert to DSD. I am not sure what features Roon will have but I would be surprised if it can compare to HQP in terms of filters, etc. I doubt I will be ditching HQP any time soon.

1 Like

Andy do you have any insight as to how dsp may work?

For example would it be possible to measure a room in REW, generate the filter that you need/want and then sideload that to Roon?

would like to know that too.

I’m pretty sure the DAR article referred to convolving as well as Parametric EQ (didn’t it ? :innocent:). So yes, you are able to do exactly that.

Happy New Year guys!!! I think this is best New Year gift from Roon, I can’t wait to try it out, bring it on man!

Regarding the RCK, this looks like very interesting. :relaxed: It would be great if next Rasp pi (or like) get a M2 connection and a more powerful cpu. This would create an entry level no worries Roon solution (without fancy multiple streams, EQ, …). Otherwise I guess it’s just a matter of time when the desired micro Computers with enough power/connections come available. :clock:

Wouldn’t that be a NUC? I see lightly used i3’s go for about €150 (4GB+SSD), so no need to mess with an underpowered ARM SBC.

Over time, the ARM chips will gain enough power to run Roon Core, but that moment is still a few years off – and I don’t think powerful chips like the A-series that Apple produces would have any price advantage.

But we’ll see.

1 Like

Any information on support for Bluesound? I see they are now listed as a HW partner on the Roon site, but the article on 1.3 calls out Sonos support and nothing on Bluesound. I’m crossing my fingers that Bluesound support will arrive with 1.3. I think Bluesound with its better DAC and support for higher res. is a better low cost endpoint than Sonos.

Any news regarding Bluesound will have to come from Bluesound.

While they have announced RoonReadiness, they need to do the integration of RoonReady code into their products – and they are the only ones in a position of telling what, where and when.

As far as I know, Bluesound support is awaiting a firmware update from NAD/Bluesound to their devices to add RAAT into their systems. You might check their forums to find out when a firmware update is due.

From BlueSound forum:

Hi DigitalLA, In October when we announced that we are partnering with Roon, we were hoping to have it integrated by the end of the year and we are continuing to work hard to get it done. We are excited to say that we have it working in our Lab and we are currently putting it through extensive testing to ensure everything is working properly. The next step requires Roon certification so we will be working closely with them to ensure that we are Roon Ready compliant. We expect to complete this process by the end of January, so it’s not long now. Thank you for your patience as we work through this important integration. Andrew

2 Likes

Nice - finally to get it included is good - then upsampling 44.1khz NAS located files to 192khz and a wired pulse mini that already sounds pretty good, upsampling tidal streaming to the same device (assuming this is included in the Roon update don’t see why not) - look forward to tinkering with this/ seeing and hearing this in action!