Artist Equivalence Issues

Would be useful to have a statement from the Roon team on this. @mike @danny @vova?

I would have thought that the full metadata editing capability will allow the end user to correct any anomalies in their library. Wouldn’t it be preferable to focus on that, rather than posting all the anomalies here? Of course, a feedback system for the data provider would be good, but it would never be as responsive or specific as what the end user could do themselves.

1 Like

We’ve been told that full metadata editing is coming and that Roon 1.3 will have a focus on metadata. This thread is partly because I whinged about nothing seemingly happening with artist equivalence and Mike started it so issues can be fixed. It takes some time for changes to propogate through but they are occurring.

3 Likes

Brian May, the English musician famous for being the guitar player of Queen, shares his artist page with the deceased Australian composer of the same name, probably best known for being the composer of the soundtracks to the first two original Mad Max movies. For a short moment, I was questioning my sanity when I saw the guitar player is shown to be dead for almost two decades. Information within the magenta submarine is for the composer, information outside is for the guitar player.

1 Like

Three (or more??) Maysa combined into one artist.

Seems correct on allmusic.com,
Combined metadata on Tidal,
Combined metadata in Roon.

Please separate these artist to follow the allmusic.com pattern.

Thanks, Joachim

“Belle and Sebastian” split into three slightly different entities…

Repeating the question as my metadata issues still exist months later.

Something here isn’t right. I thought he was touring this year! :relaxed:

1 Like

Hey guys, Michael Jones is a new age artists but this is the wrong guy featured in the Roon? This is from Tidal.

Same for José Feliciano. All his albums appear under the late Cheo Feliciano.

Two artists collaborating, but three different ways of referencing them over three albums:

The third way means the two artists as a group have a different entry to themselves individually.

Dave Stewart is confused with another Dave Stewart.

“T E Morris” and “T.E. Morris” are being reported as different artists. They should be resolved to “T E Morris”.

For some reason, the band “Monarch”'s albums are listed under Wye Oak (Tidal albums)…

Just took a look at this, David – looks like there are 2 groups called Monarch, in addition to it being an alias of Wye Oak (according to AllMusic).

I’ve untangled the bad equivalences now, and the fix should be live in less than a week.

FYI:

Any possibility to fix this?

I saw that before I wrote in, but the thing is, according to that same info, they were formed in 2006, and that weird Monarch album (The Grandeur that was Rome) was released three years before, in 2003, so it can’t be them. Allmusic also said their debut album was “If Children”, which definitely came out as Wye Oak… in 2008.

John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas is being confused with John Phillips the guitarist from Not Drowning Waving.

Next One:
If you go to “Joe Jackson” you see in the Tidal albums a lot of albums from an artist called “Ranking Joe”

I saw this weekend that when doing a search for “The Highwaymen” in Roon, two different bands are getting munged together. The Willie, Merle, Johnny and Kris group is getting lumped under the 60’s folk band. Allmusic.com has separate entries for each band. e.g.:

No change here. But now also an album of “The Sweet” is listed under Cheo Feliciano.