Artist Images I upload look bad. Are they being downsampled?

Could be a good explanation (hoping still to get some sort of confirmation from Roon guys on this) though I think what they do is beyond pixel median filtering as if you see @AnimalOnDrums 's first image, they are also somehow desaturating the image. I think there’s also a form of vignette added as well.
Not against any of the stylistic choices like vignetting etc or any pre-emptive action against possibly poor image sources that are automatically grabbed from the metadata supplier, but doing the same to a user-uploaded image w/ no ways of giving the choice to “preserve quality” is just not good UX.

Roon is (I assume) aware that presentation is a very important element in the experience of browsing the music we have/are interested in. The entire point of Roon is to provide that experience. Would be great to see if they show the same care in details like this as well.

1 Like

What is strange is that a 1920x1080 image from Roon can look perfect, but if I upload an image of the same size, it looks bad.

I get what you are saying about the poor quality images from their metadata sources and it makes sense, but Roon can obviously handle good quality images when it gets them, so why can’t it handle mine the same way?

I just want to know what settings I need to use on my images so that I can do any sizing or change color settings myself to get a nice upload. Or if something needs to be fixed, then hopefully they will do it. I would love for someone to explain this so we can get it right if possible

2 Likes

all good points. I was told that either Roon of Rovi/Tivo get a lot of images form Fanart.tv. They only allow images up to 1920x1080, but since it is public you are right that we dont know the original specs on the image. I think you are spot on about the different pipelines too. :grinning:
I know Roon is busy but this has been going on for 2 years for me, and 3 years for others. We should have at least gotten an answer by now about why all this happens. Someone at Roon has to know. If they could fix this, or get better artwork in general and give us a real dark mode wit ha black title bar I would be a very happy camper

2 Likes

Another example from today. Any updates on whether this is being looked at, even just to provide an explanation of why it’s happening?

Thanks,

1 Like

@support , this is another question that has sat for almost 6 months without an answer. Since I am not the only one who has noticed this issue I would like to know WHY this is happening and how to fix it opposed to IF it is happening. Is there something specific that needs top be done to images before they are uploaded (aside from using a specific image size, which I have tried numerous times). I appreciate it
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi folks, I don’t have any specific timeframes I can provide, but we do have a ticket in for this. Apologies for the lack of response previously!

Thanks @dylan for confirming at least there’s a ticket in the backlog to investigate this. Hope you guys can bundle it up with any UI adjustments to v1.8 interface the upcoming versions will inevitably bring.