Artist images very slow to appear

and this means?
what should I do… come to your home every time I want to use Roon so the thumbnail is perfectly working?

ok, you use Cloudfare… but we are unhappy so Cloudfare or not there is something that doesn’t work properly

the user experience is the important point here not your cloud provider, in the past the thumbnail was smooth and now it isn’t

TIM internet provider, 84Mbs download and 21Mbs upload now… in the past I only had 20Mbs download speed and thumbnail on Ipad was smoother

I read about problems with TIM. Is it a mobile provider?
I don’t know, but I thought the pictures are cached in ROCK and the RoonRemote. Isn’t it?
Sorry, that’s only my supposition.

I’m connected via FTTC, not wi-fi

I thought pictures were cached in ROCK too… so if they are already here why is now slow and in the past wasn’t? any connection with the last update we have been forced to install?

Earlier I posted a video of my Roon browsing experience, for comparison here is the Linn app browsing my Qobuz favourites - much less laggy than Roon (prior to 880, Roon had the edge).

1 Like

I might be mistaken, but I think images are now cached in you control devices, not on the Core.

1 Like

But why they are the same on different devices with different users?
If I connect a new device and user to my core it took a few seconds and every pictures are there? We had 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and one Mac mini as Remote. I will test it with the 2 Apple TV with the Remote App. Than I will give you a feedback.

Ok.
Every pictures are immediately on the Apple TV. (Russel TV extention)

Thank you Danny.

There’s still a communication between core and remote. In that sense the individual caches don’t work independently from the core database. There does seem to be an issue with the way in which images are being cached and retrieved now that they are no longer stored on the database.

That being said, I still think I’m right in saying that each remote has its own cache and that images are now downloaded on demand to these individual caches. I may, however, be completely wrong!

But hadn’t it always cached images locally on remotes or we would not see the bloated caches for Roon that many get. I guess know they are from the cloud and not core. I see my phone caching images a lot quicker than my laptop both on same WiFi but I guess the images on the laptop are of different size as each device pulls what’s best now rather than same of the core.

I am not seeing the same lag as others at the moment but it’s slower than I would like and what I am used to and I guess this is the rub. It feels a step backwards and obviously has some issues. Comparing to Tidal, Spotify and Qobuz apps it’s not that far behind them for me but they are still quicker and it feels like a smoother experience I am starting less at nothing. I also expect it as it’s all cloud based I haven’t got to run an additional computer 24/7 gulping power to have that experience but now I do for Roon. PlexAmp in comparison is pretty much instant on the same device.

1 Like

Another question what happens when you loose the internet. Will Roon be a barren wasteland with no images?

Yes, sorry, I wasn’t clear in post. Images were always stored in local caches, but (pre 880) they were drawn from the Core-stored database, now they’re drawn from the cloud.

I agree with you that things are now slower, but still usable. Others are experiencing more significant delays. Clearly the new cloud-only approach (although working well for other providers), isn’t yet functioning as effectively for Roon. As yet we don’t know if this is down to the old favourite (network set up!) or something related to the functioning of the local cache.

There’s quick work around for this in terms of cover art. If the internet is down, and you have embedded art work for your local files, a switch to “Prefer file” in Import Settings (Artwork) should do the trick.

1 Like

This is only Album Artwork, any Artist images won’t be displayed.

I will ask again, for a configuration setting to pre-populate Artist Artwork locally within the Roon Core database running on the amble available storage space on the SSD in my dedicated ROCK server, that is operational 24/7 and connected to the internet, where it can perform background refreshes of the stored cache at a preset time/interval e.g. 2am-4am, or even 2pm-4pm. And if this increases the size of my Roon backups, so be it, as these are stored on a NAS with 2TB volume dedicated just for backups and off my main NAS (10TB volume) and primary backup NAS (8TB volume) which manages my local library. I understand that maintaining local libraries is no longer the vogue and should be exclusively using Tidal and/or Qobuz for our music selection in Roon. As such the requirements from this use case don’t seem to feature in Roon’s product or technology decisions. However, if I had listened to vogue re CDs vs LPs, I would have ditched that record collection at the time. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Agreed. Only works for covers.

The problem affects Qobuz and Tidal users as well. Pre-880 the artwork for any albums added to one’s Library from streaming services was stored on the database. Now they’re downloaded on demand. The same problems will occur for streaming users as they do for local library users.

This appears to have been ruled out by @brian and offering two quite different architectures doesn’t seem to be the “Roon way!”. Isn’t the real issue to get the new system to work effectively for all users? Don’t get me wrong, I had no problems at all with the old system. It was marginally quicker for me than downloading on demand. The reality though is that this change has been instigated so as to solve certain other issues relating to database management.

You may get what you ask for (database-stored artwork) but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Thank you for that.

Firstly, if I have offended anyone, please accept my apologies.

It is simply borne out of frustration - each of the 1.8 releases has created a new and different set of problems and challenges on what was a product/service that previously was working well pre the 1.8 releases. Nothing has got smoothly or without issue with Roon lately.
And the B880 build rendering my Roon system dead-in-the-water halted with no method of recovery apart from starting a fresh Database build, was frankly “gobsmacking” in terms of customer support, the attitude towards long-standing customers and the operation of a product present in the market since 2015, i.e. this isn’t a 1.0 version anymore, and Roon is no-longer a startup nor a crowdfunded, crowdsourced venture operating with limited resources.

Secondly, I am the original poster for this issue, I was asked to provide screenshots of the issues being experienced, which I was doing in the ticket, given that the only response from Roon on the issue, was not experiencing the issue being reported.

Not only was I undertaking the screenshots from different Remote devices, but also at different times of the day, given that Internet performance to remote servers does vary based on load, usage etc.
I am noticing that the image refresh issue is less apparent first thing in the morning, circa 7am UK time, but come evening circa 7pm UK time, where there are significant delays.
I have already re-request the configuration option of pre-populating issue rather than relying on solely dynamic download, especially given that a ROCK server is dedicated to its task, has a dedicated SSD for the Roon database and could be excluded from the backup process. However, on my Asset UPnP server, where I have just over 1,000 Artist images as part of the image upload process, they only consume less than 2GB on the microSSD drive, the RPi2 uses as filestore.

Thirdly, when I post an issue regarding existing functionality I am expecting to work (as it was working perfectly, for me, before) I am looking for resolution of the issue, or steps to be taken to resolve the issue, not an explanation of why there has been a forced change in how the processes are being undertaken and why it should be better, when clearly it is not, hence the submitted ticket.

5 Likes

Simon, sorry to bang on, but an answer to this point was precisely where I got involved initially. I know that Roon 1.8 has been a bad experience for you but (and this is the 3rd time I’ve posted this) you have had a response to this:

Am I to take it that, by a “resolution” you mean “give me exactly what I ask for”? If so, that’s fair enough. But, as I said before, don’t hold your breath.

Anyway, I think I’m out of this thread as I’m not really sure what more there is to say.

3 Likes

this is the point! and from this comes the question: why can’t we have and option, flag Y o N, to store inside our SSD album covers instead of downloading them all the times? we are already downloading them… why do we have to do that again and again and again and … ?

The issue appears to be related to where on the network you are connecting the nuc. Mine wont load any images even the endpoint icons when connected to my Velop nodes. It will search and stream though. Just in the dark. If I connect it direct to the BT hub it does everything properly (like it used to for the last 2 years). But then, of course, it cant see the endpoints !.

The iMac running rock has no such issues wherever it is. So it has to be an issue with rock running on the nuc as far as I can see but as yet @support have not worked out what the real cause might be and what in the last update has caused the problem.