Artist images very slow to appear

My answers are embedded above.

The missing metadata on the now playing screen in Roon Radio occurs on both Windows 10 and iPad control devices.

The majority of my Roon devices (Windows PCs/laptops/convertibles and Android phones) show very acceptable performance, but for the sake of completeness, here is my worst case.

Itā€™s a Lenovo ThinkPad 10, which since the start of my Roon journey back in 2016, has been in occasional use as a Roon Control. However, the latest change to image handling has probably brought that to an end. Performance is now abysmal.

Internet connection speed:

Display device: Intel HD Graphics on an Intel Atom Z3795

Roon Core: ROCK on an Intel Core i5 NUC (7th gen)

Library: 57479 tracks

Wifi connection between Control and Core; Fritz!box 7530 router and Fritz 1200 & 1750e repeaters.

That was kindaā€™ horrible actually. But you are saying that all other controllers in your network perform ā€œreasonably wellā€? As in populating images with short to no waiting?

Hereā€™s what itā€™s like on my desktop PC (using Page Up/Down keys to scroll). Itā€™s acceptable.

This is on Windows 11 running on an Intel Core i5-11600K with wired ethernet.

1 Like

Yes, I havenā€™t thrown in, the Roon Core performance, of my HP Elitebook 2540p, which despite being a Core i7 with 8GB RAM and 160GB SSD, as it doesnā€™t run Win10 (as I still need XP Virtual PC foRr certain legacy applications), so it is on Win7 and the Intel HD graphics driver got left behind and was not updated by Microsoft. Despite this, this machine runs all the latest versions of Chrome & Firefox browsers, a recent version of MS Office, MP3Tag, PowerampDB, InSSIDer, Winmerge, etc. perfectly.
Since Roon 1.8, it has not displayed images, Artist or Album artwork very well at all, as there is something amiss in image caching for this driver. I would like Roon to work on this platform, but I understand they canā€™t support all Windows versions as they do with previous MacOS and Mac platforms.

And for a further comparison, this is on a Surface Go 2 running Windows 11, connected via Wifi. Performance could be better, but itā€™s usable (just). Problem is, the images donā€™t seem to be cached between restarts of the Roon client.

Iā€™ve been trying to live with it, but I honestly donā€™t think it is acceptable. Kinda defeats the reason to have a core if everythingā€™s loaded dynamically. Aha! Now I see where this is goingā€¦

3 Likes

I jst complained about the album art loading slow,I wo der if the cause of the stutter and lag when scrolling on my ipad pro/iphone 13 is the result of roon changing the way they cache the art work

Quite some time since my initial post regarding album art loading slowly. Very pleased Roon has not responded or remedied the issue.

I hope you are wrong!

Hello all. I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays this weekend. I wanted to thank everyone for the answers to my questions from last week. They have helped us to put some bounds around the circumstances where this issue presents.

Based on the information you guys shared, thereā€™s one more change that Iā€™d like us to make before we put a new release in front of you guys. Itā€™s a bit more complex and involved than the performance optimizations that we undertook last week but itā€™s a more fundamental solution to the problem and should address a lot of this feedback more directly than simply making things faster.

We mapped that work out today, and have a path forward. Thanks again, everyone.

10 Likes

Just chiming in to say that I have a ROCK on a NUC i3 and with the recent release(s) I have also experienced this issue and that is why I ventured to these forums. Hope it gets resolved.

EDIT: Let me be clear about my gripe. Images load decently fast, within acceptable times, but the PROBLEM is that they load about 75% slower than before. My expectations are too high and now everything feels slow.

1 Like

Sounds good, as the issue feels deeper than just tweaks & fine-tuning around the edges.
Happy to test once you have something deployable

1 Like

Any fix for this? I thought a hotfix would have been rolled out by nowā€¦

EDIT: I say hotfix, because this was never an issue for 4 years and then one update rolls out and itā€™s an issueā€¦ why is it so hard to correct?

Presumably because of what @brian said earlier:

thereā€™s one more change that Iā€™d like us to make before we put a new release in front of you guys. Itā€™s a bit more complex and involved than the performance optimizations that we undertook last week

Because it wasnā€™t a bug, it was a consequence of some re-architecture. We couldnā€™t roll it back without breaking lots of other stuff, so we had to push forward with a refinement to the new approach. I explained the architectural change in detail higher up in this topic.

Itā€™s in QA testing now, and going well. It will be out soon.

3 Likes

Just ran into this issue, helping a friend.

I was able to resolve it for about 15 seconds each time I changed DNS servers on the Nucleus+ web interface. At first I thought this was hitting a rate limiter with the initial DNS, but that would be crazy given this library isnā€™t the large. Based on Brianā€™s comments, Iā€™m guessing the DNS temp fix I found is a red herring and unrelated. I guess we wait for the fix.

I complained about artwork lagging months ago in the ios scrolling lag thread,the whole roon experience for me was destroyed when 1.8 was first put out,they seem to be putting all there time into features that we donā€™t need or want than trying to fix the serious problems theve put on us,the lag and stutter on my ipad pro/iphone 13 pro max has been going for 2y now,all we get from them is that there working on it,I now refuse to give them my money,this is why I cancelled

I wasnt seeing this issue at all, until yesterday.

A deep, slow scroll into my Artists on an iPad Air 2 remote. The first 2/3rds of the artist images all loaded as I scrolled with no problem. But then I reached a point from where no images would load at all. I could keep scrolling and see nothing but grey circles. Scroll back up and the previously loaded images would still appear, but from the failure point onwards literally nothing at all.

The issue persisted into each artist page as well. If I clicked into one of the artists with a grey circle it would not load any images on the artist page either.

Is this the issue being discussed here? It doesnt sound quite the same, my images would not load at all after a certain point, they werent slow they were missing. I was wondering if it might have been a hard cache limitation on my admittedly pretty old iPad remote?

Hi all,

Build 898 includes a new approach to solving this problem. Once youā€™ve updated your core+remote to Build 898, try it out for a few days and let us know how it feels.

We did some performance optimization to the image loading process which made things 2-4x faster end to end depending on your hardware (biggest benefits for weakest hardware).

In addition, we changed the caching model so that itā€™s willing to display a ā€œstaleā€ cached image during the loading state instead of making you wait for it. In the rare case where the image changed on our servers, it might flip to the new one a fraction of a second later.

This means that over time, your core and remotes will build up a semi-permanent cache of artwork that can be displayed without speaking to our servers, which should have similar ā€œlocal network speedā€ properties to how Roon worked before the update in December.

Note that we still are not pre-loading images at library import time and do not plan to change that (for many reasons, which were discussed above in this topic). In in day-to-day use, once youā€™ve browsed around a bit and populated those caches, it should feel very close to what was there before the updates in December, and most importantly, it should stay that way and not feel like itā€™s depopulating every couple of days.

Thanks for all of the feedback on this, and let us know how it turns out for you once your devices are updated to build 898 and youā€™ve had a chance to live with it a bit.

11 Likes