Artist Page begins with Appearances, Tracks and Albums missing

Hi @mike it’s been 2 weeks and it’s still broken.
Still the wrong tidal albums as described above

Hey guys – sorry this is dragging on.

Can you guys select all the Bill Evans albums in your collection, click Edit, and then choose “Re-Identify”? If you’re still not seeing an improvement, let me know and we’ll take a deeper look at your logs/database to get a sense of what’s going on.

There are a few reasons why these bad IDs might be persisting (including the fact that once you edit an album, we give it special status that prevents the ID from changing back on you). It will be interesting for us to get a sense of whether Re-Identify fixes this for you, so let me know how it goes guys.

Thanks!

@mike I will try that, but the problem is there is no screen that will show us our Bill Evans albums. We have to search on each one by title. Same for the scores of albums he is a contributor on. Plus, I don’t know how to re-identify a TIDAL album.

Yeah, understood. Try filtering or focusing the album browser?

Will try when I am home this evening. Will focus bring up all the albums he is a contributor on?

I guess I don’t understand how reidentifying individual albums is going to fix a problem with who an Artist is.

And to be clear, this was not a problem until recently. Nothing changed on my system with this. These aren’t new albums. Roon worked correctly until recently.

I re-identifies all Bill Evans albums. Selected them from album view -> edit -> re-identify.

Now I have 1 “Bill Evans” under artist and all albums are there…so far so good.

BUT still the wrong tidal albums.
Only the same 4 (wrong ones) are shown:

@stevev1 Does Roon now list the albums you have where he is a contributor?

@mike After I cleared my tidal cache I now have 3 entries under artists again… all with wrong album count and all going to the same page…with still the wrong tidal albums

yes these are correct for me

This is a weird one guys :confused: We’re discussing what could be going on here.

@stevev1 – can you let me know if you’re seeing the right bio further up in your screenshot? It should start:

With the passage of time, Bill Evans has become an entire school unto himself for pianists and a singular mood unto himself for listeners.

and not:

No relation to the other Bill Evans, this saxophonist has an adventurous spirit and strong improvising skills despite his utilization of a rapper on some records.

Would you also try adding one of TIDAL’s other Bill Evans albums (from your screenshot) to your library? I’d like to know if it ends up on the right page.

Thanks for sticking with me on this one guys. I’m sure we’ll figure this out soon.

Good news and bad news. I re-identified Waltz for Debbie and lo and behold all my Bill Evans albums reappeared (including ones with appearances), and the correct TIDAL albums showed up. This has happened before and then reverted to the problem we’ve been talking about, so time well tell. But for now, it works. Your suggestion did the trick, I don’t understand why, but I guess I don’t have to. :slightly_smiling:

However . . . Songkick shows he is in concert in California and Europe even though he is dead. :slightly_smiling: See below.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
All Bill Evans entries under artist went to the correct page with the correct bio BUT with the wrong tidal albums.
I added one wrong Bill Evans album to my library as you asked…

Well It was a complete mess :scream: :grin:

I got a Bill Evans entry with 5 albums

then got another Bill Evans Entry with 8 albums THIS ONE HAD THE WRONG BIO and it included the album I added

And I have a 3rd entry for The Bill Evans Trio…with no bio at all

I then re - identified all Bill Evans albums again and now all is well !!!
the right Bill Evans now also has the correct tidal Albums :grinning:

Now that it works I’m tempted to delete that album from Bill Evans the sax player again but I fear it might mess it up again…

1 Like

Oh man, reading this post, what a roller coaster ride of emotion :disappointed_relieved::persevere::triumph:

We have some ideas about what went wrong here, and we’ve mostly traced it back to a bad edit we did on our end. Basically, we separated Bill Evans and Other Bill Evans, but accidentally marked Bill Evans equivalent to Bill Evans Trio.

Since many Bill Evans albums are also credited to the trio, this caused some bad links when the new data synced over, which may have been compounded by any edits you did in the app causing us to take a hands off approach to these albums (as we take precautions to make sure user edits don’t get overwritten).

Anyway, that’s a great story that incidentally kills at cocktail parties :wink: but the point is, I’m glad we got this resolved. Since the data is good on our end now, and since re-identify seems to have flushed out the bad links in your collection, I think you should be good to remove the other Bill Evans’ album now.

Thanks for your patience guys! Phew.

That Bill Evans guy is a real pain in the arse! :laughing:

Cheers, Greg

1 Like