Artists without images

Any updates on that? Having the same issue and deciding whether to proceed with Roon after trial or not. This is quite dismoral to have key feature of the product not working - great discovery of music in big library.

Hi @Vladimir_Yurkevich,

Did these artists have images previously and they went missing? Or were there never images associated with these artists to begin with?

Whether or not we have an image for an artist will depend on our metadata providers. We are always receiving new data from our metadata sources, so it’s possible that artwork could be added for some artists at a later time.

Hi Dylan,

This is brand new library import, since I’m using Roon for couple days only.

I’m just wondering if it’s true regarding your metadata providers. I’m suspicious because I have almost perfectly sorted library and most of the artists with missing artwork are certainly present in the Internet, e.g.:

and many more

Around 40% of my library Artists have missing artwork, which is very concerning. Interesting fact, is most of them are still properly processed, e.g. “3rd Force” artist has bio, genres and all albums artwork, but not main performer artwork. I see that really cool Discover page doesn’t ever show artists without artwork, hence I will never see +40% of my library there.

Some technical info:
Artists: 1605
Albums: 6897
RAM: 32Gb
Artwork memory: 2Gb
SSD: 240Gb+ free

Maybe I’m hitting 2Gb artwork memory limit? But there is no option to use more.

There’s no limit (that you refer to is a RAM cache limit), and you’re not alone. Roon just doesn’t have artwork for those artists and it would appear they’ve not prioritised doing anything about it - they’re relying solely on metadata sourced by their providers.

You’ll have to add manually via the interface, one artist at a time. Then be sure to backup your database because if it’s lost / corrupted you’ll be back at square one.

@evand, yes, it seems like the decision is to have no artwork for an artist than have a “bad” one by Roon standards. Don’t agree with that though, in many ways it is worse without any artwork.

You’ll have to add manually via the interface, one artist at a time. Then be sure to backup your database because if it’s lost / corrupted you’ll be back at square one.

Thanks for the advise, but I would never fully rely on a single media server. I have a question though, what is the path and name of the file expected by Roon in the artist folder to be an artwork? I can consider organizing my library in the way that all artists folders would include an artwork file, and used by Roon as preferable for missing ones.

This won’t work as far as my own experiments have shown.

Another long-standing request arising from Roon’s inaction in filling in artist images. Fallen on deaf ears though, so no way to do this other than save the files to a local drive and name them accordingly in case you ever need them again.

There is a way to pull them if you’re using Roon on Linux - a find command can locate all images added in a given timeframe and copy them to another folder to save you the tedium of having to save to local disk then browse within app to add cover. There’s probably a windows equivalent, but I’m not a windows user