Asking For Reviews of Roon Remote On New iPad

Air 1 or 2 and Pro 1 work fine. Iphone 5s and later as well.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with the posters above that there is no need to go with a new 2017 model of iPad. Also no need to go with the large model I personally think the smaller one is quite interactive enough. You can find plenty of people who are trading up and will sell a gently used one to you at a good price.

Unless you are buying one from someone you know however meet them at the Apple Store or the carrier’s store to have the IMEI number checked on transfer so you don’t buy one that’s stolen!

1 Like

I’m still using a Mini2 and the Roon app runs great on it. I’m getting a new iPad next month and the Min2 will continue to be my dedicated Roon remote.

1 Like

Using a Mini 3 which I purchased used. Very happy as a Roon Remote.

1 Like

Thanks guys for your input.

I am looking at a Mini 2 to use as a dedicated remote for Roon and for my Harmony Elite. I think it will work nicely!

Appreciate your help!

I too have an older iPad Mini that won’t run Roon remote. I bought an Amazon Fire HD8 doe $89.99 and it works great.

Ron

1 Like

@Ron_Lee,

The possibility of getting this remote on a less than $100 device is interesting. How easy is it to access the app?

What hoops do I have to jump through to make this happen!

Thanks in advance!

Just got a new 10.5 Pro model and really like it!

1 Like

One more ? Ron!

If I install the Roon remote software on a Fire HD (I have found instructions online) will there be a compatibility problem with my Core running on my Mac Mini?

Thanks!

1 Like

No, the Remote is agnostic to where the core is running.

Thanks — a device that works for less than $100? I am an Apple stockholder, but the Fire HD is a no brainer!

Mike,
I have Roon Core running on an iMac with Roon Bridge running on Vortexbox media server. Controller on Fire HD8. No issues. Works great!
Ron

1 Like

Any chance a future feature to play music using ROON remote with these new iPad Pros. They do have 4 great sounding speakers.

@BillyChiu.com, see

Here’s my review on Roon:

2 Likes

Hi Mike do you have a link to how to get it running on a new fire hd 8 please?

Go to the Roon Download page:

https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

and click on the Roon Remote Android (apk) link and it will install.

-Ron

So, Ron, I ultimately bought an iPad mini instead of the Fire HD8. I checked them both out, but my familiarity with the Apple ecosystem reeled me in, and I spent the extra money.

I do see that the apk files are available on the Roon site. I assume that works on the Fire HD.

In any case, the Roon Remote works exactly as advertised. I am having a great time with my library, the Tidal library, and the convenience of on-the-couch control.

1 Like

Good decision!

And remember, the iPad Mini can be used with (many) other things, not just Roon :grin:

aha thank you - I see I made the wrong assumption.

I thought that there would be some form of sideloading / hacking involved