Astell & Kern status

Lol

Happy two year birthday of undelivered promises. Blows my mind they A&K is getting away with it. I am absolutely livid.

1 Like

Kann Alpha have no words on Roon Ready, so Astell&Kern May drop Roon Ready completely.

Very sad. Scam is the proper word. Glad I bought mine second hand

Maybe some good news soon

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-new-flagship-a-ultima-sp2000.906255/page-266

Let’s see if AK does not drop the ball again, I’m skeptical

2 Likes

Site has been removed. 404

I am also skeptical @Lawshredpower

I spoke directly to an A&K rep at CanJam LA 2019 (more than 18 months ago) and he promised Roon compatibility by year end (2019).

Anything they promise henceforth gets questioned. I wouldn’t buy anything from them with the intent of being Roon capable until it was released and utlized.

Yes, that was the official deadline on the website. Any other kind of business would not get away with that.

2 Likes

Well, luckily, I didn’t hold my breath for this one. I just updated the firmware and there is no Roon for the SR15. I guess that’s it.

Rant on:
In any case, I was happy as a child when I purchased the A&K SR15 based on reviews from respectable sources… Regrettably it turned out to be a disappointment. I find it too expensive for what it is, the software ecosystem is lousy for that price point and although not entirely A&Ks fault, syncing and updating your device is a major pain in the neck. They don’t have any software at all for the major streaming services as well as some sort of means to simplify the syncing of tracks and playlists, tidal implementation is so so, I have to go to a Russian website to download a Qobuz apk…

I could go on. It’s just not worthy of the high end DAP they’re trying to be.

You know what’s worst? I paid 600€ for the SR15 and I just got an Apple iPod with an iFi Hip-Dac, syncing through iTunes because I’ve had it. Not the most simple solution (too many devices) but the sound quality is there and I can listen to music instead of waiting for A&R and its USB 2 (!!!) to sync with MediaMonkey…

Rant off. How is your day been? :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing my man Zoran. AK70 owner in this corner and have similar issues. Yes the sound quality is good (should be with my SE846’s) but everything else about the AK experience is poor. I kinda wished Id invested in a Chord Mojo w/Poly and it would have given me the Roon interface Im desperate for when I go mobile in my crib.
My rant over too!
A

1 Like

I believe only the top line of A&Ultima models has Roon compatibility. I just purchased an SE200 A&Futura Line and it’s not Roon compatible either.

The AK software is pretty good, but I get your frustration. AK has been touting this software upgrade for awhile and they weren’t real straight up about when the rollout would take place, or what models would be covered. I wasn’t going to spend an extra thousand just for Roon compatibility.

I re-activated my Tidal account to stream with it. The Open APK download options didn’t work for me. I have an imac desktop so that might be the problem there.

1 Like

Hello @rrwwss52,

I received my SR25 today and installed Tidal’s latest version using the Open apk. On a MacBook. So is there something I can help you with?

Kind regards,
René

2 Likes

I had no issue loading up Tidal on my SE200 and Kann. Deezer (which was preloaded on the SE200) and Qobuz wouldn’t take. I would have bought Deezer since I liked it in the past; I have Qobuz as well.

I do appreciate the offer though. Very helpful of you to reach out.

I bookmarked the thread and may try again. Were you able to get any other service software to load?

1 Like

Also loaded Spotify (not to use often, but sometimes it has new albums earlier than Tidal ;-)) and XAPK Installer without problems. Now only trying to find a way to delete the preloaded stock version of Tidal and Deezer…

1 Like

I was able to get Qobuz Open APK to take, but not Sirius XM. The Deezer was preloaded, and I still wonder what was preventing the loads. Qobuz and Tidal are good to go now. Thanks for the post, and confirmation it could be done on a imac product. Probably operator error on my end… :grinning: