Audio clicks & pops when using Qutest & Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

2018 HP Spectre - Windows 10 Home, Core i7 8705G, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SSD. Roon version 1.6 (build 416)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Using Wi-Fi, BT Smart Hub, laptop is about 5 foot away from router, unobstructed.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

HP Spectre - USB - Chord Qutest - Trilogy Audio 931 - Headphones.

Description Of Issue

Hey folks,

I have a problem with my Qutest and Roon, it seems that whenever a sample rate is over 24 bit 96Khz, I get a weird digital dropout that clicks and pops. I have tried both WASAPI & ASIO, ASIO seems to be a nightmare with Roon and I’ve been happily using WASAPI with my 2018 HP Spectre - USB out into the Qutest into my Trilogy 931 amp and onto my headphones for quite some time.
However, when listening to the new 'Coltrane ‘58: The Prestige Recordings’ (192Khz 24Bit) the problem has surfaced again. I have no idea of how to remedy it.

Can you please shed any light on what I can do to fix the problem?

Please find attatched pictures of my Roon WASAPI & Windows settings as per Roon:

Kind Regards,
Chris.

Hi @Kalavere,

Thanks for reaching out here. I would start off by trying to reboot both the Core + DAC and see if that helps. If it does not, trying to reinstall the Chord driver and trying a different USB cable will be a good next step. Can you give that a try and let me know if it helps?

– Noris

A late reply, I know, but I increased the audio buffer size from default to 100ms and it’s solved all of my issues. The Qutest will play DSD quite happily now.

To add to this, for anyone that stumbles upon this post, I was trying to play a DSD256 file, my laptop was on power saving mode and set to 1.5Ghz instead of the normal 3.7Ghz. I think a lot of the clicking and popping at hight bitrates (anything over 24bit 96Khz) was due to lack of processing power.

The Qutest and my laptop will now play anything up to DSD 256 - I have yet to try 512 - using the ASIO driver without clicks, pops and drop-outs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.