Audio dropouts every 5-20 minutes

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Microsoft Surface Pro 7/i5/8gb ram/128g storage/ Windows 10

Roon: 1.7 build 511 64 bit running Core and Output

Bulk Storage: Synology DS918+ / Samsung 860 SSD in RAID1

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ubiquiti Unifi - USG Router / Cloud Key V1 / Unifi switches

Everything is hardwired and on a 1G network. The Roon Core and NAS are plugged into the same managed switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

McIntosh C50 fed directly via USB from the Core/Output

Description Of Issue

I get random audio dropouts every 5-20 minutes playing back 24/192 flac files from the NAS. I have disabled all performance impacting features of Windows that I can think of (power saving, search indexer, fluid rendering, firewall, etc.). The preamp and PC are running the latest drivers. The native Realtek audio driver is disabled and Roon is playing direct through the McIntosh ASIO driver. I have also turned off roon audio analysis and don’t use DSP. Any suggestions?

Move some media to be local to the Core. Play that and see if it drops out. If it doesn’t then you know it is in the network.

Hello @Scooter,

First, try increasing the buffer size in the McIntosh ASIO settings.

Second, I would change the USB cable being used to connected the McIntosh to your computer. As data rate increases, the length of the USB cable will become more of a factor. How long is your cable?

If this doesn’t work, I would try switching to the McIntosh WASAPI output to see if things are better using this this driver. I would be interested to see if you see improvements when toggling the following settings with the WASAPI zone:

A. Exclusive Mode
B. Event Driven Mode (under "show advanced)

-John

Increasing the buffer to max on the driver looks to alleviate the problem for the most part. I get a rare pop but so far seems to be far better than before.

I tried the WASAPI driver too and behaves the same way. The ASIO driver sounds better so am going to stick with that.

My USB cable is very short. I have tried a few and makes no difference.

When you say drop outs, do you mean intermittent small popping sounds, as if you were listening to vinyl?

After updating the buffer to max on the driver, yes… kind of like a pop on vinyl.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

I am experiencing the same thing.
I thought that maybe a tube on my pre-amp was going south.

Increasing the buffer size didn’t make a difference.
Another V1.7 buffer bug?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.