Audio dropouts with MQA on dCS Rossini and Roon 1.5 (B320)

After updating to 1.5 Roon is now stuttering for a split second on just about every MQA track. This “stutter” is shorter but happens almost on every track where the previous known “stutter” on the Rossini only occurred when it first saw a MQA file or the unit was paused then restarted on a MQA track.

I made no other changes nor did I change the setting in Tidal where I have selected “Use Exclusive Mode” and “Pass Through MAQ” in Settings—>Streaming

I don’t think that this is a new issue as this behavior was present in the past. Often times whether or not it was noticeable depended on whether or not the track in question started with silence or had audio on the first beat.

It’s a known issue having to do with how the MQA filter works in comparison to the standard dCS filters. If you select any of the other filters the dropout goes away. We corrected the behavior in the Vivaldi One and are in the process of integrating that fix into the Rossini. Timing will coincide with the production start of the Rossini Transport (late spring / early summer).

Hmmm… OK, I think I misunderstood you. Are you saying that if you play an entire album (therefore all tracks are the same sample rate and bit depth) you’re getting a drop at each track transition?

I’ll try to replicate, but one of my Rossinis has some test firmware on it and the other is in a box. Let me get back to you on this…

OK. I’m pretty sure I can replicate. I can’t hear it as the test firmware I’m running hasn’t been deemed safe for speakers yet :wink: , but I can see the the MQA filter dropping out on track transitions. Checked against the prior Roon build and this wasn’t happening. @brian, I’ll shoot you a note on this.

1 Like

Hi James/Andrew
Just to let you know that I also hear/see this on track transitions when playing through an album on my Rossini.
Mike [in Boston]

Edit: Ah, I see that Andrew has already replicated/addressed the issue …

Andrew
Thanks for following up on this. We do appreciate your efforts.

Mike

Thanks for confirming what is happening.
Jim

Looks like the root cause has been tracked down and a fix will be going into testing over the weekend. As usual the Roon guys are on it so it shouldn’t be too long. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I have a consistent dropout at the beginning of each MQA track on Rossini. Full decode on Rossini, no DSP on Roon.

We’ve discovered a glitch in Roon that is causing some issues with gapless MQA. The bug has been tracked down and the fix is in testing.

Thx @amp. This was not the behavior with 1.4.

With me also the same dropouts. the music starts a sec later…

Hi Andrew

I’m not sure if this is a feature or a fault (please excuse my ignorance) but …

… although Build 323 fixes the loss of MQA lock between tracks when an album is played through,
if one either (a) jumps forward within a track [using the elapsed-time slider]
or (b) skips forward between tracks [>|] then there is a momentary loss of MQ lock
[as observed on the front-panel display].

Warm regards, Mike

Hi Mike,

This one is a known issue and has been present since the Rossini MQA update went live in December. The issue has to do with identifying the stream as MQA and switching in the MQA renderer function. The bitstream has to be moving in order for the FPGA to read the rendering instructions but once it’s moving playback is happening. Unfortunately switching the MQA renderer into the stream causes a momentary dropout.

With Roon the stream is torn down and re-created under certain circumstances and this only amplifies the problem.

We’re in the middle of working on this issue right now and should have a fix in the next Rossini release.

OK - THANKS! [Sorry if I missed a previous post on this issue!]