Audio endpoint has vanished after the 1.4 was installed

Hello.
I have an Antipodes DX server and a Wavelength Crimson DAC. This interface has been working flawlessly since both units were upgraded in early 2017. Since I installed Roon v1.4 the software can’t locate my DAC in my network (“no audio devices found”). The problem seems to be specific to the Crimson DAC’s USB module (the latest Q1 USB module) as the earlier Denominator module works perfectly showing that the DAC itself is not faulty. I’ve also used a Dragonfly DAC without problems. There are no issues with the Roon software per se (everything functions normally) simply that it can no longer locate the Crimson DAC if the Q1 module is fitted. In a nutshell the issue is the interface between Roon and the Crimson USB module. I raised this issue with Gordon Rankin the designer and manufacturer of the Crimson. He told me that since the introduction of v 1.4 he has heard of many issues with Linux based servers having similar problems. He considered that the problem was connected to the V1.4 upgrade. Does anyone have a solution for my problem?

Hey Alistair – thanks for the report.

This is the first I’ve heard of any audio issues in 1.4 (which didn’t feature any major audio changes), and it’s also the first we’ve heard of the Wavelength Crimson DAC, so I suspect whatever is going on here isn’t that widespread :wink:

Anyway, we’ll be able to look at the diagnostics and get some more information here, but just to confirm, this DAC supports Linux right? I know you said it was working before, but I just want to confirm. I assume the DAC works properly when connected to Windows or OSX?

I’ve also reached out to Gordon, so stand by Alistair, we’ll find out what’s going on here.

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yes my DAC supports Linux. As to whether it works when connected to windows or OSX, I don’t know as I have never tried this as I have always used my Antipodes DX server. I had a quick look this evening but I couldn’t download Roon as I already have Roon remote downloaded in my PC which I use to control the DX server. I am reluctant to delete what is already on my PC at this stage unless it is necessary. I am not very clever with computers and would refer to keep things as simple as possible. Having said that, I hope to see the local Antipodes technician tomorrow and maybe he can check this out. I will see what he has to say and let you know.
I am glad you have contacted Gordon. He knows his stuff and of course wrote the program for the Q1.
Best
Alistair

Hi @Alistair_Maclean ----- Thank you for touching base with us, the feedback is appreciated. A few things moving forward.

As Mike mentioned in his previous, I have went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account so we can try to getter a better sense of what is causing this behavior with the mentioned DAC. What this action will do is the next time Roon is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. I will confirm when it has been received and then pass over to our tech team for evaluation.

Additionally, you can test the DAC’s functionality with the the PC remote by mounting it to the device. There will be no need to download anything else as when the DAC is attached to the Roon remote PC it will appear under the “audio” tab in the “connected to this PC” section.

-Eric