Audio file loading slowly at both TIDAL and local files [Solved - Windows LAN Settings]

I am receiving this message when I try to upsample the playback no matter it is from TIDAL or local files. The music will play for 2 seconds and stop for 10 seconds and jump to the next song. But without upsampling, everything works perfectly.

I really hope I can upsample to DSD512 and transport the data to my DAC. It gives me the best sound quality comparing to the playback without upsampling. My detailed setup and screenshots are attached.

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks!

It’s full Roon x64 installed on Win 10 PC (with most recent updates) Intel Core i7 5820K 16G RAM (1G LAN wired)
Network: Asus AC86U router, CAT6 cable
DAC: Singxer Su-1 DDC, Holo Spring Level 3

PC> wire -> Asus Router -> wire -> ultraRendu

Have you got Parallelize Sigma Delta turned on the the DSP settings for Upsampling?

A processing speed of 1.6 X its running it pretty fine. A 5th Gen i7 might not cut the mustard still.

I am using the parallelize sigma delta to improve the speed of upsampling. From what I check on the website, i7-5820K has better performance than i7-7700T. Are there any other possible reasons?

Hello @Kelvin,

Thanks for contacting support, I’d be happy to assist here. Do your other endpoint by any chance exhibit this same behavior or is it just for the Singxer Su-1 DAC? I am thinking this is either a bandwidth limitation or something else is limiting the output here.

A few suggestions:

• Can you please verify that you are using the newest firmware for your devices here?
  • For you Asus router, do you by any chance have IGMP Proxying or IGMP Snooping as an option in the settings? Toggling these setting have improved communication in the past (please see our Networking Best Practices Guide).

Please let me know if my above suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thanks for the support. I am very sure I am using the newest firmware on both my SU-1 and my Holo Spring DAC. The ultraRendu is also running Sonicorbiter 2.7. As for the router, no IGMP functions have been turned on.

I used to use PC (Roon) to connect SU-1 directly. I can upsampling to DSD512 perfectly. This problem only happen after I start to use ultraRendu and router. Is there any other possibilities?

Thanks!

@Kelvin, have you by any chance tried using another Ethernet cable for your ultraRendu? Is “Multicast Routing” enabled on your Asus router?

I am also tagging @Jesus_Rodriguez (Sonore ultraRendu founder) in case he has some optimization ideas for your DSD setup here.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks for the support.

I have been trying Cat5e and Cat6 cables. The problem remains the same. I suspect the problem can be the network setting of the router or ultraRendu, since the setup had no problem before these two components were added. The multicast routing is only available in the Wi-Fi setting of my router. As for the LAN setting, I have disabled IGMP Proxy and IPTV. I am reading the Asus AC-86U user manual and have not found many settings I can change. Except the settings of router, are there any recommended setup for the best performance of Roon when using ultraRendu?

Thanks,
Kelvin

What happens with DSD256?

Hi @Jesus_Rodriguez,

It is the same problem when it is DSD256. Whenever I try to use the DSP engine, it involves the extra processing and data transfer, and it will slow the playback. I am currently still suspicious of data transport part. But I have not got any solid evidence to prove the hardware of router or uR is fine.

Do you have any recommended hardware setup to support DSD512 upsampling when using uR?

Thanks,
Kelvin

Those rates are not an issue for the Rendu series…I’m not sure what is going on.

Thanks for confirming that @Jesus_Rodriguez.

@Kelvin - I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. I kindly ask for you to reproduce this issue once more and then note the exact local time in your country (ex.11:10PM) that this issue occurs at. I will then cross-reference the diagnostics to see if there are any errors being outputted at that time. Please let me know this information when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

Thanks for the support.

As you suggested, I did some tests.

From 19:42 - 19:45 (USA, ET), I enabled the upsampling to DSD512. The playback is including Tidal streaming and local files. It shows the slowing sign for each playback. From 19:46 - 19:50 (USA, ET), I turned DSP engine off. Everything seemed alright. However, at 19:54, I streamed a song “Frank D. Fixer” by Jason Mraz from Tidal without turning on the DSP, I received the same warning message. Please let me know what you find.

Currently, I suspect my network card, Killer E2200, can be the main reason to cause this problem. I plan to change to Intel PCIe network card. What do you think? Do you think it is necessary?

Thanks,
Kelvin

Hello @Kelvin,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps. I have taken a look at the diagnostics but am not able to see why the issues occur, and I have created a case for you with our QA team to review.

While they have a chance to review, I’d like to suggest some additional troubleshooting here:

• I noticed you mentioned that you have IPTV disabled in your Router, can you please try to enable this?
  • What happens if you temporarily disable “MQA Core Decoding” for that zone, does DSD512 work as expected?
  • Do you by any chance have another machine that you can try to temporarily host the Core on and see if the same behavior occurs for DSD512 content?
  • This does seem like some kind of bandwidth issue so if you are able to test on another Core, the Killer E2200 card may be the reason why the issue occurs but it is too early to say conclusively.

Please let me know if any of my above suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

I have some updates that may help to understand the problem right now.

Besides my desktop, I owned a MacBook Pro with an i5 processor. I installed the Roon on my Mac and used Wi-Fi to connect it to my ultraRendu. The playback was from Tidal streaming. When I turned on DSP engine and did upsampling, I can see the performance is 1.1x at DSD256 and 0.6x at DSD512. The upsampling rate is limited to DSD256 due to the CPU limitation in this case. Different from the desktop, it can run upsampling without any problem even with Wi-Fi from the same router. The desktop right now cannot do any upsampling and show this warning message (“slowing loading”).

Based on this test, it proves that my router can handle this bandwidth and enable the data transfer at this current setting. My desktop, running Windows 10, is the reason to cause this current problem. By the way, I am using the same ethernet cable on both my PC and ultraRendu. The normal use and internet connection on my PC have no problem.

Then, I checked on the website to find the fix for slow LAN speed on Windows. I found this webpage (https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-lan-speed-pc/). I went from Solution 1 to Solution 7. IT FIXED THE PROBLEM. I think it might be Solution 6 or 7 to truly fix the problem.

Now I can do upsampling to DSD 512 without any “hiccups”.

It is quite a journey. Thanks for the consistent and patient support. I will let you know if there is any problem in the future.

Thanks,
Kelvin

Hello @Kelvin,

Glad to hear that the article you found has resolved the issue! Certainly strange, but good to have this information as to better assist other users who have this same issue.

Please do keep me posted if you run into any issues in the future, thanks again for contacting support and I wish you a pleasant listening experience! :headphones:

– Noris

1.1 x is probably not going to be stable…it has been noted in many roon and user responses that anything below about 1.4 x is not reliable.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.