Audio files corrupt in Linux (SonicTransporter) but not in Win Roon Server [Ticket open]

(GaryM) #5

By the way, it is not strictly linux vs windows I suspect. I have the exact same files on a Vortexbox (fedora linux) server running LMS 7.8 that reads all the files correctly (none corrupt).

(Eric Stewart) #6

Hi @garym ------ Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us. Confirming that I have downloaded the supplied content and that we will be looking into this on our end as well. Once I have some feedback from our testing I will be sure to follow back up asap with our thoughts/findings.

-Eric

Podcast file problem
(GaryM) #7

Thanks Eric.

(GaryM) #8

Hi @Eric Any insights on this issue yet? Thanks.

(Eric Stewart) #9

Hi @garym ----- My sincere apologies for the slow response here. I have had chance to test the provided media and can confirm that I am noticing the same behavior you are.

The content will successfully import for me on Windows and OSX, but can not on Linux. I have issued a ticket for my developers to take a closer look into this problem for you and will report back with their findings once I receive an update.

Thank you again for your feedback and most importantly your patience. Both are greatly appreciated.

-Eric

(GaryM) #10

Thanks. No Hurry!

(Eric Stewart) #11

Hi @garym ----- Thank you for your patience. Reporting back that a fix has been set into place regarding this issue and is pending the release of 1.3 :microscope:

-Eric

(GaryM) #12

Thanks. Looking forward to 1.3 release.

(GaryM) #14

@eric Just a note to point out that 1.3 (Build 194) has not resolved this issue for me on my SonicTransporter i5. Thanks.

(GaryM) #15

@Eric

Some followup and perhaps a way to resolve this (unresolved) issue. Just today I was letting my Windows Roon Server finish analyzing all my tracks for R128, DR, etc. For kicks I opened the tracks view in roon and sorted on DR values. I noticed that there were many tracks (almost 1000) without DR values. Lo and behold, the tracks with no DR values have the notation “corrupt” listed along with the track names. (NOTE: these tracks are not listed in the skipped files section of my library and all show up in total track count.)

I then notice that these files seem to be the same files as the approximate 1000 files that are NOT importing in my Linux version of Roon Server (running on SonicTransporter i5), The difference is that in the ST, they show up as “skipped files” in the library. These are mp3 files and are all a bit odd (because they are free downloads from artist websites, or downloads from subscribed podcasts, etc.). The commonality seems to be:

1. A file created with MPEG 2.5 Layer III, that has a sample rate of 11025.
  2. a file created with MPEG 2 Layer III, that has a sample rate of 22050

By the way, in my windows roon these files play just fine (even though marked as corrupt). But again, they get “skipped” in my ST (linux) roon install and not imported (listed in skipped files section as corrupt). Here’s some file examples:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27403489/sampleproblemfiles.zip

EDIT: To summarize, it seems that windows roon can import these, can’t add R128, shows them as corrupt, but DOES PLAY THEM. In contract, the linux (ST) version can’t import these files and shows them as skipped (corrupt).

SonicTransporter Stuck Adding Content
SonicTransporter Stuck Adding Content
(Eric Stewart) #16

Hi @garym ---- Thank you for the update and sharing the observations that were made during your testing! Confirming that I have grabbed the content and have placed everything in my testing queue. Once I have had a chance to test with the content I will be sure to follow up with my findings.

Furthermore, I saw the advice given to you here by Andrew in regard to formatting your external drive to exFAT, please let me know if this procedure has any effect on this behavior you are reporting here.

-Eric

(GaryM) #17

Formatting drive to exFAT makes my ST file import stable (and correct) except for 942 files listed as skipped. see my post above with sample files that are skipped by ST but import in Roon Windows.

(Andrew Gillis) #18

I took a look at these files and they are a little weird. But Squeezebox Server (under Linux) can index and play them fine so it seems like Roon should be able to as well.

(Andrew Gillis) #19

Roon is going to take a look at this and try and fix it next time they work on codecs.

@support please make sure there is a ticket logged for this with @garym files attached to it. Thanks.

(GaryM) #20

Thanks Andrew. Yes, these are very odd files mp3 files. But as you note, LMS will import them in linux. And Roon Windows will import them. And thanks for your help on the attached drive to my SonicTransporter i5. With exFAT, I’m seeing stability. Love the ST unit…

(GaryM) #21

I noticed that a few older mp3 files had no DR. When looking at the file information, they show “+InfinitydB” as track gain.

If I play one of these tracks, they are very loud and highly distorted. If I play the entire album (rather than one track), the same tracks are OK (because they are using AlbumGain value, which is a normal value). If I set Roon to use ReplayGain values from the tags instead, then both track and album RG reports correctly and file plays with no distortion, etc. Here’s an example file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27403489/02%20To%20Kingdom%20Come.mp3

Setup: SonicTransporter i5 playing through SonicOrbiter SE. Roon is ver 204. ST and SO are updated to latest firmware.

(Eric Stewart) #22

Hi @garym ----- I have consolidated some of your posts to a single thread in the interest of keeping all of this information in one spot, should we need reference any of your feedback.

Moving forward, could you please verify that the content you have provided above yields all of the behavior being reported (skipping on import, showing “+InfinitydB” as track gain, etc)?

Thanks!
-Eric

(GaryM) #23

No. Not all same behavior. The skipped files on import was the first issue and I provided some examples (most of these seem to be mp3 files that are odd in terms of frequency/sample rate).

The second issue (R128) files are imported just fine and are normal 44100 mp3 files, but they have the odd R128 analysis that shows +infinitedB for R128 track level gain. I provided one example of this file.

(Eric Stewart) #24

Hi @garym ---- Thank you for the follow up and the clarification. As Andrew has mentioned we have a ticket open with our developers who are tracking this issue. Once they have provided us some feedback we will be sure to reach out with their findings/thoughts.

-Eric

Odd files that work in Roon Windows and not in Roon Linux - Followup
(Eric Stewart) closed #25