Audio glitches with Bluesound Node 2i (seems after 1.8 upgrade)

I recently got me a Node 2i for a second room. So my main set up with a Linn Selekt streamer doesn’t suffer from any glitches, but as soon as I integrated the Node 2i (BluOS 3.14.26) and Roon Core Build 814, there are up to three glitches per minute to hear which of course is extremely cumbersome. I am using an external DAC (denafrips Ares 2 connected by RCA) which is not MQA supporting. Glitches are there it doesn’t matter if I listen to music from my core or via TIDAL. No glitches via TV connected by optical cable via Chromecast.

Is this issue still not addressed by Roonlabs?
Why does the Node 2i get a „Roon ready“ label when it obviously does not meet the requirements like promised below?

Roon Ready network players from our partners have Roon’s high-resolution streaming technology built right in. They combine simple setup, daily reliability, and support for the highest level of digital audio performance in the industry.

Every Roon Ready player is certified by Roon to guarantee the same stellar experience, regardless of its manufacturer, its price, or its features.

There is a previous history of this with Bluesound devices. However, it does highlight a related bugbear I have also raised previously, which is that even if devices (whether by BS or other manufacturers) do meet the requirements in the initial firmware, there’s nothing to stop them inadvertently breaking them with subsequent firmware releases. Of course, if Roon is an important share of their customer-base this should be self-correcting but I’m not sure it’s ever felt that way with BS.

1 Like

Does your node 2i have a folder link to some local storage?

If so delete the info / link.
Restart the node 2i and see if you still get the issues through roon

I posted about my issue with static

No local storage, just Roon Endpoint.
No glitches if music is played via BluOS App, same like others reported.

Ok
I’m running Sonos mostly at the mom for outside weather

I’ll go check my powernode and node 2i

Let me know your bluos version.
I haven’t updated bluos for a bit.
I did upgrade roon however.

I’ll report back tonight and see what I get

hi
sorry was busy

my roon plays fine to powernode 2i through wifi no less
songs played include 24 bit local, 16 bit tidal, 24 bit tidal and mqa tidal

et me know your conig, specifically your netwok.
into house, within house, wifi or d
network devices

i’ll help you diagnose

Thanks Joe. As stated above (Post No 20) I have all latest updates.
All Music is played via wired ethernet.
I have two setups. One Room with Linn Selekt streamer. No glitches.
Only Node 2i has glitches, but only when used with Roon.
Used via BluOS App all ok, even 192 Khz via Qobuz.
So it surely is not the networks a bottleneck.

Hi Dan
I am a user like you, however I have 30 years of systems and networking experience. If you want me to help diagnose your problem which is not node 2i related, unless it has a local share mounted via bluos, I’ll do my best.

anyway, network items with roon config as well. what is roon running on and what else is running on it as well.

cpu / ram / disk all play an important roll

i5/8 gb/hard drive are the minimum with nothing else running on the pc with windows 10. A browser can seriously hamper performance or an anti-virus app.

you have to remember that you are streaming from tidal to your pc which then roon processes, before sending it out the same network to the node2i.

the reason the roon core works so well, as nothing else is competing for resources

let me know the specs - thanks

my 2 bluos devices are currently - 3.12.13
if we can’t diagnose your system - I’ll upgrade one of my units to the newer bluos version and re-test to see if this version introduced anything

Hi Joe
My Roon Core is a dedicated music server, the Innuos Zen Mk 3.
8GB RAM with 4GB In-Memory playback, Quad-core Intel CPU N4200, 2TB storage. Linux based operating system.
(Innuos purposely do not use a very strong Intel processor like i7or so because more computing power introduces more EMI to the system, this should be no problem as long as you do not engage heavy DSP processing on the core, which I don’t. Furthermore, the only reason Roonlabs suggest such a high system spec is for performing DSD upsampling which is by far the most intensive process Roon has. For bitperfect playback i5 or i7 is not necessary.)
BluOS 3.14.26 and Roon Core Build is 814. I cannot report on earlier software versions as I bought the Node 2i recently second hand, maybe I simply have to factory reset it, and try to setup again.

EDIT: A few hours later I had finally time to make that reset and start the set up process again, and guess what the glitches are gone now. I don’t know which little piece of set up information changed from before the reset to now, but as it seems to be working fine now, I won’t complain or search any further. Thanks for any advice.

That’s great !

I didn’t do much
Most people who complain about the bluesound devices usually have a networking, or pc issue

except for a few that try to have local shares in bluos and roon together - which took me a while to figure out.

enjoy

1 Like