Audio Skipping blah blah

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10, i7 7600K, 16GB @3200MHz

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Lynksis WRT AC3200, Wi-Fi (stable connection, no jitter, 800Mbps + down 600+Mbps up, no packet loss, low ping.

Connected Audio Devices

System Optical out to Schiit Bifrost Multibit

Number of Tracks in Library

12000 tracks

Description of Issue

Frequent skipping when streaming tracks from Tidal on core or secondary devices. Consistent behavior regardless of network activity, audio device, quality of streamed audio, etc. It will skip forward and sometimes backwards, quite abruptly. Sometimes it just chooses to skip songs entirely. This is an absolutely unacceptable issue. I have Roon to preserve audio quality with EQ. Audio skipping completely ruins that.

EDIT: I switched Tidal quality from Master to Hifi and it might have fixed the issue. I’m fine with this result because I don’t use mqa anyways, but it still needs to be fixed.

You have Wi-Fi listed in your network details. If the core machine is Wi-Fi try a wired connection instead. Wireless endpoints work well enough but the core should be wired.

1 Like

This really says it all.

Even though you may have a good network speed, it is struggling to deliver consistent hires files over WiFi.

Which is a method that is really not recommended although it can be made to work.
A lot depends on what else is going on in your area etc.
Wired is the preferred method of connection.

1 Like

When Tidal plays the files fine with absolutely no issues, 4K 60 YT (and other higher bitrate streaming) works with rarely an issue, and Roonlabs is skipping maybe 50% of the time I listen to music, or more, it isn’t the connection that is the problem. I have a rental and there is literally no way to run a cable, and powerline doesn’t work either. I have a good router and a very good wifi receiver on the computer, which is only about 10 feet from the router (on the ceiling of the floor below it). Wifi reception is generally good in the whole apartment.

Also Roon started skipping again even on hi-fi quality :upside_down_face:

Are both your core and endpoint wireless? If so, try an Ethernet cable to the core if possible. This might ease the wifi bandwidth issue. Remember Tidal goes straight to an endpoint, Tidal via Roon goes through the core first which increases traffic.

I guess you missed my last post, I don’t really have any options for a wired connection. This issue is just as bad playing directly from my core (PC, optical out to my DAC)

As an add-on. I can play music that is stored locally on the core from any endpoint via wireless, even 24/192, without any issues at all.

A post was split to a new topic: Audio Skips on all endpoints

Hey @Philip_Dixon sorry that it took us a while to respond to your concern - it looks like you’ve gotten some feedback already.

Given that your connection is on Wi-Fi, even if not permanent but rather as a test, could you please try a wired connection from the Roon core to the router to see if the issue persists?

You can also try to reset the Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.