Audio zone disappears while music is playing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 on Intel i5 motherboard. Roon 1.7 (build 571). All interactions with the core are via the Roon app on my iPad. Same build info there as well.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Marantz 7703 preamp connected via HDMI to Intel onboard.

Description Of Issue
The zone associated the intel video connection disappears. It disappeared just now while I was actually playing music. In other instances, when I came back to the PC and wanted to play music it was gone.
My system is a HTPC connected to a Sony projector, I usually listen to music with the display off since it is expensive to replace the bulb. I am wondering if there is some sort of sleep mode being activated. However I use JRiver a lot and it never loses the connection to the HDMI port.
TEXT GOES HERE

I went back to Roon after watching a movie via JRiver. The auto zone is back.

Hi @John_Lloyd,

Does this issue only happen after you are using the zone in another app and then try using it in Roon?

I cannot answer that question. I switch back and forth between JRiver and Roon quite often since I am using one for video and the other for audio.

The problem occurred again last night in the middle of a song. It is getting annoying. I generally just give up and try again the next day. Sometimes I find that the zone reappears and other times it is missing for a few days.

Hi @John_Lloyd,

I suggest we try to perform a RAATServer refresh to see if this helps. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

I followed those steps and created a new RAATServer folder. I did not restore the backup of the data but made a few changes (WASAPI exclusive mode) to restore the most important settings in the zone.

Everything was working fine last night. I turned off the stereo but the home theater PC remained on. Somehow Roon forces it to stay on and prevents it from entering standby or sleep mode.

This morning I looked at the Roon app on my iPad and the Intel Display Driver zone is not visible. Even though the PC was on, I tried moving the mouse to wake up the display just in case that was a factor. The zone is still not reported by the iPad.It only shows the zones for my Marantz 7703 (using HEOS) and my iPad.

I had a similar problem, using a surface type pc with a mobile version i5 as the roon core. There appears to be a new Win10 sleep mode called ‘modern standby’ aka ‘connected standby’. It puts the pc in a zombie-like state. Some desktops apparently have it, too.

I’m 99% sure this was my problem. Some PCs have a way to turn this off in bios. Win10 does not have a setting, even if you set ‘never sleep.’

P.S. JRiver continues to work because the server part runs as a service.

I turned on my home theater PC and examined the Roon application. I noticed that the Intel zone was not enabled (The enable button was displayed). I went ahead and enabled the zone again and now it is visible. But we still don’t know why it disappeared.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @John_Lloyd.

Were you by any chance still playing music to the Zone? If you were playing music still (but just had the Amp off, it is possible that having the music playing prevented sleep).

Do let us know if the issue re-occurs again and what time + date it occurs at.

I am definitely not playing music when the system refuses to sleep. I have seen other threads on that topic here in the past. I was just mentioning it in passing because it might be related to the disappearing zone.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @John_Lloyd, I do see a ticket which might be related to the sleep issues you mention, I believe QA is looking into it. If the issue re-occurs on your end, and the audio zone disappears, please note the time + date this occurs.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.