Audiobook bookmark?

Roon Ready endpoint leave off where you left them. Mine do anyway. I can scroll back easily on my iPad just by dragging the progress bar.
I know where I am in an audio book by the play count also. Just look down to where it changes.
Roon never was designed for audio books and I have found plenty of work arounds. I too like BBC radio plays, so it’s nice to see another person of taste on here.

Notice the music track is paused where I switched to TV on my Bluesound player.

Me too, but haven’t seen it resume where I left off like say Plex video. The nearest would be if you paused and came back but that is no good if I listen to something else as when I go back to the audiobook the place is lost.

If I’m in a play, I just make a mental note and that works for me. As I said, Roon wasn’t designed for this but that’s a great feature request you could put in. A simple place marker.

Chris, Dan - thanks for your support for my viewpoint. Strictly speaking I’m not listening to audiobooks (although they share the same feature - they are just extremely long audio tracks).

They’re actually all downloaded on my iMac using get_iplayer audio player, which I can do as I’m in the UK.

I do understand you can pause and return to any track if you continue with the same output channel (or even switch output device); however I simply can’t pick up any programme, listen, put it down and return later from the same point. And at 66, my memory’s isn’t what it was!

This is such a basic feature - even iTunes did it (when I knew no better) - that I can’t understand why it didn’t feature from day 1 in Roon.

I will add it as a feature request. And the extra buttons to fast forward/back “<<“ and “>>’ within the track - as scrubbing with my finger is way too coarse a method, in my view.

One last thought - are there so few Classical music buffs using Roon? I can’t believe that, so why aren’t they asking for this? Or does everyone else have the luxury of time to listen without any interruption? Perhaps I am I just badly acquainted with your Community posts…

PS Sorry, Chris, just read the “UK’ on the end of your username (doh)
PPS Where is the play count? Can’t say I have noticed it. ** update ** I just expanded your screenshot - is it the little number in the top right hand corner of the album image? I will look out for that…

Hi, most of my audio books are CD rips and have tracks every few min just like any album. I have some DAB radio Grabs and Cassette MP3 conversions which do have long tracks, but they would be generally 30 mins and some 45 mins. If I am going to listen to these I treat them as a session and personally wouldn’t interrupt them.
There must be software that splits a recording into tracks at convenient points to use going forward.
A friend ripped some vinyl for me and asked how long time wise I wanted track gaps to be.

I play audio books overnight as they lull me to sleep. I never hear the end :joy:
You can see play count here.

This would be a very useful improvement. I listen to classical music and I like to listen to parts of several albums over one evening to get back later and finish what I left aside. Any news regarding this upgrade?
Thanks

1 Like

Hello, anyone else interested in this new feature? In my opinion it would be very useful for anyone listening to multi-disc albums (e.g. as common for classical music) or audiobooks.

Personally I like to have several albums in my “Listen” pile and I hop from one to another depending on the mood. Being able to put bookmarks in the albums would make it very easy to complete what I left over.

It is like having a pile of books with bookmarks and reading them at the same time (am I the only one doing it?).
Please help us to make to noise for this feature so Roon staff can prioritize it!

4 Likes

I’d also really like this feature! I listen to a lot of DJ mixes (BBC Essential Mix, downloaded Rinse.FM mixes) that are at least 1 hour each as a single track, so it’s not limited to just audiobooks! It would be really helpful to have the ability to resume from where I left off!

2 Likes

It also would be nice to have a focus filter, album fully played or something like that
So i could have a list with unfinished ones