Audioengine D1 connected to Win 10 PC cycles quickly through songs never playing them

Core
Qnap version 1.7 (build 610)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet connection

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Audioengine D! USB

Description Of Issue
Audioengine D1 connected to Win 10 PC cycles quickly through songs never playing them.

Hi @John_Cale,

Has this device worked with Roon previously?

If you play to a different endpoint (like System Output of the Win10 PC) does the same issue occur?

Hi,

I have not used Roon on this system in the past. I tried system output and I get the same result

Thanks,

John

Hi @John_Cale,

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Hi, I confirmed these settings are already in place. Thanks, John

Are you using

a. Realtek Drivers and are they up to date on the Win PC
b. Is there a Nehemic driver/service running. If so, try disabling it and re-try
c. Any other software that interfaces with the audio, studio programs, video capture, etc etc

Disabled Nehamic service and issue still persists

Realtek version 6.0.1.8470

Hi @John_Cale,

Can you please try to temporarily host the Roon Core on the PC and see if you have the same issue?

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

If the PC as the Core works as expected, I suspect a firewall on the QNAP is causing this interaction.

I did the above and am having the same issue

Hi @John_Cale,

Thanks for giving that a try. Next I would suggest that we reinstall Roon and RAATServer on the PC:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon app
  • Verify if same issue occurs

Same issue occurs

Hi @John_Cale,

Can you please try to reproduce the issue on System Output, note the exact local time + date + track it fails on and then manually send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions?

Hi,

The failure is at 11:27 PST 10/1/2020. I played the album #KingButch and if fails on every song

Here is the link tot he logs https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiQ2vSYkU-lh2EcaiTs5i-T2RCOo?e=CTcyVm

1 Like

Thanks @John_Cale,

Let me get these logs over to the team for closer inspection and I’ll let you know once I hear back!

Hi @John_Cale,

I spoke to the team and they mentioned that one aspect we should also consider here is a firewall on the QNAP. To verify if the QNAP is playing a part in the issue, can I please ask that you temporarily switch Cores to the Windows PC?

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different Core

Yes I tried this previously as one of the troubleshooting steps with no success

Hi @John_Cale,

Can I please ask that you reproduce this behavior with the Windows Core and send a new set of Roon logs? Once you switch the Core, the new logs should be written under %localappdata%/Roon on the Windows PC.

Looks like I experience the same problem using Nuc/ROCK instead of Win 10

Here is the new log https://1drv.ms/t/s!AiQ2vSYkU-lh2EiF3YZ-sZbS3cQg?e=PVlanH

1 Like

Thanks for sending the logs @John_Cale, I’ve forwarded to the team for review!