Audiolense ASIO - Device Initialization Failed following upgrade

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Computer, i7-4790T, 16GB RAM
Roon Version 2.0 (build 1272)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet. No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Chain is Roon → Audiolense ASIO → RME Fireface
Some other “Roon Ready” devices used in other rooms (all of which are working)

Description of Issue

“Device Initiationalization Failed” error when attempting to enable Audiolense ASIO following upgrade to the most recent version of Roon. I’ve un-installed and re-installed both Roon and Audiolense Convolver but the problem remains. Also, I’ve renamed the RAATServer folder to force Roon to create a new server but this hasn’t solved the issue.

Any advice as to how to diagnose the problem?

Hey @Andrew_Stamp,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and my apologies for the delay in getting to your thread!

Do you experience any playback/initialization issues when playing audio from other sources outside of Roon?

From your core diagnostic, we’re seeing success when playing to 8 channel. When this issue occurs, how many channels are you attempting to play to? If you could test out a few different formats, that would be helpful.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. Thanks! :+1:

Ben -,Thanks for the response. Answers in bold

Do you experience any playback/initialization issues when playing audio from other sources outside of Roon?
No. I’m able to successfully playback from JRiver Media Center to Audiolense Convolver ASIO

From your core diagnostic, we’re seeing success when playing to 8 channel. When this issue occurs, how many channels are you attempting to play to? If you could test out a few different formats, that would be helpful.
I’m unable to get to the point of playback with the Audiolense Convolver ASIO end-point as I cannot enable the device. The plan, however, is to just output 2 channels. Note: as a work around, I’ve set-up another device with convolution within Roon but this is not my preferred method.

Hey @Andrew_Stamp,

Thanks for the update! As a next step, I would look to update the sound drivers on the Audiolense via the manufacturer’s website. A fresh reset may also help if they’re already up to date. I’d also double check that the firmware is up to date as well.

After this, I’d also refresh the RAATserver database once more:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

So I’ve done the following:

1. Updated Windows
  2. Uninstalled AL Convolver, re-started and then installed the latest version
  3. Renamed the RAAT Server as suggested

… but the problem remains, i.e., Audiolense ASIO is seen as a device but it cannot be enabled.

Thanks for the update @Andrew_Stamp,

While our team investigates this a bit more, I’d be curious to see if a fresh database may help. Steps to follow below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Thanks!

Hey @Andrew_Stamp,

We were able to discuss your issue on our team call today, and are curious to see if your RME device is set up/enabled as WASAPI?

Roon may be recognizing the RME as WASAPI and therefore causing the ASIO device is failing. You won’t be able to run both at the same time, unfortunately - ASIO devices essentially run in exclusive mode.

If you remove the interface from your chain, can you enable the ASIO? As a next step, test out disabling WASPI in Roon and elsewhere on the computer.

Ben - FYI: I process of renaming the Roon folder to allow a new folder to be built did not solve the problem. - Andrew

Ben

The audio interface is connected to the computer via USB and, yes, there are multiple options to directly select the interface as Roon’s audio endpoint. I can confirm that select the USB / ASIO device works.

That said, I don’t want to directly select audio device but rather send the audio to the Audiolense ASIO Convolver which will then process the signal before outputting to the audio interface. This integration has been working until the latest Roon update.

What, if any, update was there from the dev team?

Thanks

Hey @Andrew_Stamp,

Thanks for the update!

You’ll need to disable the Wasapi version in order to get things up and running as it can interview with the ASIO version when both are enabled. Let me know if this makes sense and if you have other questions!

Ben

Got it. All audio devices related to the computer are disabled - this includes the various WASAPI devices. It is still not possible, however, to enable AcourateASIO. Any other diagnosis steps or suggestions?

Andrew

Hey @Andrew_Stamp,

Thanks for the udpate! To confirm, no other programs or are using your ASIO devices other than Roon, correct? Nothing in the console during initialization with Roon?

As a next step, it would be great to grab the specific date and time of when you try to initialize the Audiolense? I would try to setup just one Asio device to start.

In your core diagnostic, we saw that all your Asio devices were failing, not just the Audiolense which points to a larger issue.

Another thought - do you by chance have another device you could temporarily setup as a core to test with?

Thanks for your patience while we try to pin this difficult issue down! :pray:

Ben

Yes, no other programs are using the ASIO devices. Re date/time: I’ve just attempted to initialize the Audiolense ASIO device at 15:53 (3:35pm) AWST on 23 Jul 2023. Hope that this helps. I’ll try to find another device to setup a temporary Roon Core.

Andrew

Thanks @Andrew_Stamp, I should have more information to share after chatting with the team tomorrow.

Another quick thought - within your Windows remote, do you have the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” checkbox checked in the Advanced Windows Sound Settings?

Ben - Yes, exclusive access is enabled. - Andrew

Ben - Is there an update? - Andrew

Hey @Andrew_Stamp,

No update yet, unfortunately. Were you able to test out migrating to a different core device in the meantime?

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :pray:

Ben

I’ve just installed Roon Core onto another Windows 10 machine along with the Audiolense Convolver app. It appears, unfortunately, that the problem persists on this new machine with enabling Audiolense ASIO failing.

Andrew

Hey @Andrew_Stamp

Thanks for the update. We found some interesting information regarding Audiolense Convolver and Roon, that may be important to your setup:

Audiolense Convolver Download - juicehifi.net.

It sounds like there are a few known issues that could play a part in your issue.

To confirm, if you bypass the Audiolense Convolver you get proper playback? What happens if you disable exclusive control from your PC sound settings?