Audiophile Recording of Beethoven's 9th Recs Please

Still have to take the time to listen to it. It’s only my third classical buy!
Is this a sign I 'm really getting old?? :wink:

Because you’re starting to listen to classical music, or because you haven’t had the time to start listening to your classical music? :wink:

2 Likes

This box set was not well recognized for me in Roon, Did not put it all together as on set and “identified” the disks as being from different sets. I had to manually edit and assemble the box in Roon and I may not have done it correctly. I did it when I first started using Roon. May need to revisit and see what I can do.

My digital download (24/192) of the Rattle album was unidentified as well. I manually had to reorder it in order to fit the cd-version. Is that a wise thing to do since they are non-redbook files? Ah well I guess it doesn’t hurt.

To be honest I don’t remember if I had to manually groom my Rattle and Gardiner sets. I needed to manually groom the majority of my (large) classical library more often than not. As I (and others) have said before, this really is an area Roon can and needs to improve in. Of course, classical music is a different thing, so I can understand this takes time. For example, there are countless performances of Beethoven’s Ninth, and not so many performances of Björk’s “Debut”. I’m patient… :wink:

To answer your question: it doesn’t hurt to reorder your digital hires files. It doesn’t rename or in any modify the original files and/or their order, it just rearranges their appearance in Roon. So yes, I’d do it. It’s what I do to improve identification of my library.

1 Like

The Karajan from the 60’s is still one of the best. DG’s sound for the time was quite good. (click below)

1 Like

I got my first Beethoven symphony set when I was 22 , so old doesn’t count. Collecting hasn’t stopped so far.

Have you ever seen the “groupies” at the Proms shaking their hair to Dvorak, she looked about 23 !!!

It’s not an oldies sport … I’m 67 and still going

A really well recorder 9 th is David Zinman , Zurich

Mike

1 Like

I confess Mike, I never witnessed a Dvorak meltdown. Musta been worth watching :slight_smile:

We’re the same age, but my classical taste came later in life. Although, I did have a piano teacher who emphasized the classic pieces, so when I finally got around to listening to the pros, I could then say, “so THAT’s what this piece is supposed to sound like.”

I worked in Romford in Essex Less than an hour from the Albert Hall, getting a bunch of the boys to a Prom was a weekly event in the summer. Seeing the shear joy that people got from the experience was intoxicating…

I suspect the beer and kebabs on the way home didn’t do my waistline a lot of good…

The joys of being a Brewer