Audiophilia nervosa : Raspberry Pi 3 B vs. 3 B+

Just purchased, assembled and set up a Pi 3 B+ with Allo DigiOne :slightly_smiling_face:

Then… read somewhere (here, I believe) the B+ has an onboard switching power regulator that wasn’t there in the Pi 3 B :neutral_face:

Should I get a Pi 3 B instead?
(I’ll be powering it from a good-ish LPS and… I’m just trying to squeeze out every last little drop :roll_eyes:)

(btw, admins: we need a “I’ll just get my coat” smiley :wink:)
:rofl:

I used to run a DigiOne on a Pi2 (with linear PSU) in my ‘toy-zone’ (the one I can mess with without my family tripping all over me when it is out of order :-)). Even better: no BT/WiFi radio’s, less speed, less heat.

I replaced it with a 3B+ when it came out. It’s mocking all common knowledge: WiFi is flawless and it takes its power from an unused iPad PSU.

And for the life of it, I don’t hear a difference to the Pi2 on my Meridian speakers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use an Raspberry Pi 2 Model B with the Allo DigiOne. Originally using a standard switching supply, I later connected this to the auxiliary output of my amplifier (6V) and put in through an ultra low noise Low Dropout (LDO) voltage regulator.

There is no perceptible difference between power sources.

3 Likes

Reading about the design of the new power supply arrangement it seems it was done properly, i.e. designed by people who knew what they were doing so I wouldn’t bother. I think I am right in saying there are switching supplies on the 3 B also. You would need to go back to the Pi 2 to avoid them and I doubt any are still around.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/maxlinear-mxl7704-power-management-ic-124000048.html?guccounter=1

1 Like

Plenty. In fact, it’s still for sale. :slight_smile:

ok, leaving everything as it is: thank you all :slightly_smiling_face:

wasn’t really happy about having to disassemble both the new 3B+/Allo DigiOne and the “old” 3B/HFBerry Digi Pro to swap Pis :roll_eyes:

:rofl:

C’mon… That’s the fun part! You can stop once you’re able to swap boards eyes closed.

2 Likes

:evilplan: might get a 7" LCD and set up a standalone Roon display using the 3B :wink:

That is a 2 B. From memory we are talking the original 2 (more than happy to be corrected). I think I am right in saying that the 4 USB ports made switching power management necessary.

Not sure about the relation between USB and switching power management, but the Pi2 only existed in a ‘B’ version (with 4 USB ports). There was a sneaky 1.2 update halfway through its lifecycle.

Model A1/A1+ had 1 USB port, Model B1 had 2, B1+ 4. But neither of those run Roon Bridge.

B designated four ports. B+ is the new more powerful Pi with the revised power management the OP was on about. From a bit of reading the Pi 2 was the first quad core Pi but retained the dual USB configuration of the Pi ‘1’. However despite finding articles and photos about the ‘2’ in the configuration I have talked about I cannot find a board with Pi 2 actually written on it so perhaps it was an unnofficial designation. It is however the board I was talking about, Arm 7 quad core so it should be Roon Bridge capable.

1B had 2 ports, 1B+ onwards 4. This should be right:

That would make it a Pi 2B. But anyway – we know which board it is. :smiley:

Cool! Can’t argue with that diagram! :blush:

Why standalone? Just run Ropieee on the 3B+ with Digione and connect the screen to it.

I’d rather keep that Pi doing just audio (<- audiophilia nervosa again :stuck_out_tongue:)

Give it a try when you get your screen. I have been running RoPieee on a RPi3b with Digione hat for about a year. It just works and lots of help on this forum if you need it.