Audition tracks on remote without playing on core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac running Catalina 10.15.3

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet, works great
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iMac to Schitt Bifrost to MacIntosh integrated amp

Description Of Issue
Core plays great through stereo system, where it is.
Remote is in another room: much better sitting position for using Roon. I want to be able to audition tracks on the remote: listen to tracks on my remote iMac, through the iMac. Can’t do it. When I try this, I can get sound through the Core setup on my stereo, no problem. But there are times I want to sit at my desk and audition a lot of tracks from there NOT USING THE CORE PLAYBACK. Can’t find answer to this simple (right?) problem. Thank you for any suggestions.

Have you gone into settings, audio and added in your remote?

Do you have the Roon output installed on the Imac. If so you should be able to Enable the zone in Setting - Audio. It will be a separate zone from the IMac to Schitt Bifrost to MacIntosh integrated amp.

Just installed Roon a couple hours ago, I’m presuming Roon Output would automatically be part of the software? How can I check, tia!

Setting - Audio should have a listing for This PC / IMAC. You probably need to enable one of the options in that section.

It’s there, but enabling core audio does not produce sound when roon is playing. It plays on the core station, out there in my living room. But there is no sound on the computer I’m working with.

Can you share a screenshot of your Setting - Audio page? Mine looks like this.

Have to leave for work, many thanks, will check this asap.

Ok, you need to select the zone for you Imac.

Click on your “dining room imac” lower right between “Queue” and the icon for “speaker 100”.

That will give you the list of zones you can select from. I can’t tell which one it will be, but one of them should be for the sound from your Imac.

You can have more than one zone playing music and you can group zones together to play the same music queue. Some can not be grouped with other zones. Since both of your zones use Ethernet they should group.

Here is my list.

Click on the “group zone”, upper right of the zone display to see which zones can be grouped.

Will try tomorrow: thank you SO MUCH for your time and effort, really appreciate it!

It Worked! What a relief. Very simple, but exactly the type of thing that can be rather frustrating. So thank you again. Have an excellent day!

No problem, lots of helpful folks here on the forum. I’ve had Roon for about 8 months now and still learn something new almost every day. Welcome to the forum.

I have multiple zones setup, Bedroom, Kitchen and Living room. Use them individual and grouped for music throughout the house. But as you mentioned, I do like to use the PC at my desk for music searches and auditions. Added an Audioquest Dragonfly Dac to my PC, after reading about them here, and made that activity so much more enjoyable

Enjoy the journey and the music, and feel free to ask away.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.